The district will follow guidance from the Governor and the local health department regarding whether TCAPS' individual summer programs will be able to run during their normally scheduled timeframe.
TCAPS has many exciting summer learning and camp opportunities for children of all ages. All programs are available to children living in the Traverse area region as well as those visiting the area for the summer . Click on the sections below to view more information regarding all summer programs.
Grades P-5: Summer Explorers Club
June 5, 2020 Program Update
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we will be postponing our start date for Summer Explorers Club (SEC). We currently anticipate that Summer Explorers Club will begin operation on July 6th and will run through August 28th. Visit the SEC webpage for additional details and registration information.
Choose your weekly adventure and let the exploring begin!
TCAPS' Summer Explorers Clubs are designed to engage preschool through fifth grade learners during the summer months. Each week features different theme-based activities. Sign up for every week or just a few.
Explorers Clubs are licensed by the State of Michigan to assure safety, health, and quality measures are met. Staff members are certified in CPR/First Aid and have met training and regulation standards. Financial assistance may be available through the Department of Human Services (DHS) for qualifying families.
Online Registration Open
2020 Club Dates & Fee Information
- July 6 – August 28, 2020
- Monday – Friday, 7:30 AM – 5:30 PM
- No club on Friday, July 3, 2020
Each week will feature different theme-based activities. Explorers are invited to sign up for every week or just the weekly adventures of interest. Families are encouraged to sign up early as space is limited.
Weekly themes are:
Week 1 (6/22-6/26) - Animals Antics Week 2 (6/29-7/2) - Space Exploration
- Week 3 (7/6-7/10) - America
- Week 4 (7/13-7/17) - Water Wonderland
- Week 5 (7/20-7/24) - Pirate Adventures
- Week 6 (7/27-7/31) - Talent Unlimited
- Week 7 (8/3-8/7) - Film Festival for Kids
- Week 8 (8/10-8/14) - Mr. Wizard
- Week 9 (8/17-8/21) - Take Me Out to the Ballgame
- Week 10 (8/24-8/28) - Arts and Crafts
- $180 per week ($200 preschool)
- Fees are set for the full week and are not based on the number of days in attendance.
- On Fridays, free pizza will be provided for all students.
- Two free snacks per day will also be provided for all students.
- Eastern Elementary School
1600 Eastern Avenue
- Long Lake Elementary School
7600 N. Long Lake Road
- TCAPS Montessori at Glenn Loomis
1009 Oak Street
- View District Boundary Map
Visit the Summer Explorers Club webpage for additional program and registration information.
Grades 9-12: Summer Academy: Standard & Recovery Classes
Standard Classes and Credit Recovery Options
Summer Academy is open to all incoming 9th – 12th grade students. No residency is required. Summer Academy is a great opportunity for students needing to recover credits, wanting to accelerate, or looking to free up an hour for electives such as choir, band, or theatre.
Classes and Teacher Support
TCAPS Summer Academy is a hybrid model of an online platform with in-peron teacher support and/or workspace. Edgenuity will be providing the online platform which includes online assignments, video lectures, and assessments. Classes combine the best of highly qualified TCAPS teachers with the effective use of interactive technology. Courses can be accessed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at school and at home. The programs provide rich multimedia presentations that engage students in the learning process.
- Hosted at Central High School, lower C-atrium classrooms
- Sessions are open July 1-July 30, 2020 - Mondays through Thursdays
- Highly-qualified teacher support times and office hours are from 8:00 a.m. to Noon.
- Online courses are available 24/7 and are to be completed by July 30, 2020.
Depending on Michigan and CDC guidelines in upcoming months, organization of in-person instruction may be modified. We will strictly adhere to all guidelines and will communicate those plans to students and families. If in-person classes are not allowed in July, a remote model will be used with teachers available for Google Meets during the office hour times.
Visit the Summer Academy webpage for more information and to register online.