TCAPS Board of Education
Viewing Board Meetings
Viewers can watch TCAPS Board of Education meetings and committee meetings live on TV190 or via livestream during the meeting or on demand at any time at livestream.com/tcapslive/board.
About the Board of Education
The TCAPS Board of Education is made up of seven members elected to four-year terms. The Board of Education meets once or twice per month and holds quarterly retreats. School board members also serve on Board of Education committees, attend local and regional meetings and host community dialogues.
To contact the school board:
Mail: TCAPS Tompkins Boardman Administrative Office
412 Webster Street
Traverse City, MI 49686
Or individually by email at the addresses below:
Erica L. Moon Mohr
V. Flournoy Humphreys
Holly T. Bird
Andrew R. Raymond
2023 Board Committees & Members
- Executive Committee
Members: President, Vice President, one rotating board member and Superintendent
- Curriculum Committee
Members: Humphreys, Moon Mohr, and Pack (Alternate: Bird)
- Finance/Operations Committee
Members: Ballenger, Bird, and Raymond (Alternate: Moon Mohr)
- Round Table
Member: Rotating Board Member
- Reinstatement Committee
Members: S. Newman-Bale, Board Curriculum Committee Chair (Alternate: F. Humphreys)
- Nutrition and Wellness Committee
Members: Moon Mohr and Pack
- District Network
Members: S. Newman-Bale (Alternate: F. Humphreys)
To contact the full school board: firstname.lastname@example.org
Board & Committee Meeting Schedules
Board & Committee Agendas, Minutes, Documents
Click on the links below to view agendas and minutes from the following board committees:
- Meetings of the Full Board
- Board Curriculum Committee
- Board Executive Committee **
- Board Finance and Operations Committee
- Board Legal Counsel Interview Committee
- Board Montessori Visioning Task Force
- Board Search Firm Interview Task Force
- Board Superintendent Task Force
- TBAISD/TCAPS Joint Board Finance Committee
- TC-TCAPS Collective Resource Committee
**Beginning April 2021, the Communications Committee, HR/Policy Committee, and the Board Agenda Review Committee merged to become the Board Executive Committee. Click on the following links to view past agendas and minutes of the Communications Committee and the HR-Policy Committee.
For More Information
Board agendas and minutes will be posted on the TCAPS website for the most recent 12 month period. For agendas or minutes dated beyond 12 months or for more information or questions, please contact Recording Secretary to the Board Megan Feiss at 231.933.1726 or email@example.com.
Monthly Board Office Hours
TCAPS Board of Education Monthly Office Hours
The Traverse City Area Public Schools (TCAPS) Board of Education will host its next monthly “office hours” in person on Thursday, April 27, 2023 from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. at Horizon Books, 243 E. Front Street, Traverse City, MI 49684. The meeting will be located on the mezzanine level (second floor) of the bookstore. TCAPS Board office hours provide community members with the opportunity to talk to a school board trustee. This month, Trustee Moon Mohr is scheduled to attend.
Board Policies & Guidelines
Public Hearing Notices
Special Meetings Notices
- 08-29-2022 Notice of Special School Board Meeting
- 07-14-2021 Notice of Special School Board Meeting
- 04-10-2021 Notice of Special School Board Meeting
- 04-06-2021 Notice of Special School Board Meeting
- 11-18-2020 Revised Notice of Special School Board Meeting
- 11-18-2020 Notice of Special School Board Meeting
- 11-16-2020 Notice of Special School Board Meeting - CANCELLED
- Notice of Special School Board Meetings, May 18, 19 and 20, 2020
- 02-17-20 Notice of Special School Board Meeting
- 10-30-19 Notice of Special School Board Meeting
- 10-17-19 Notice of Special School Board Meeting
- 10-11-19 Notice of Special School Board Meeting
- 12-19-18 Notice of Special School Board Meeting
- Notice of Cancellation of 12-17-18 Special Meeting
- 12-17-18 Notice of Special School Board Meeting - CANCELLED
- 08-27-18 Notice of Special School Board Meeting
- 03-24-18 Notice of Special School Board Meeting
- 03-20-18 Notice of Special School Board Meeting
- 03-10-18 Notice of Special School Board Meeting
- 03-06-18 Notice of Special School Board Meeting
- 01-06-18 Notice of Special School Board Meeting
- 01-04-18 Notice of Special School Board Meeting
Virtual Meeting Notices
- 03-10-2021: Updated TCAPS Notice of Virtual Board and Committee Meetings - March 2021
- 02-25-2021: TCAPS Notice of Virtual Board and Committee Meetings March 2021 & Public Comment Instructions
- 02-09-2021: Updated TCAPS Notice of Virtual Board and Committee Meeting February 2021 & Public Comment Instructions
- 01-29-2021: TCAPS Notice of Virtual Board and Committee Meeting February 2021 & Public Comment Instructions
- 12-23-2020: TCAPS Notice of Virtual Board and Committee Meeting January 2021 & Public Comment Instructions
- 12-8-2020: TCAPS Notice of Virtual Board and Committee Meetings December 9- December 21, 2020 & Public Comment Instructions
- 11-30-2020: Updated TCAPS Notice of Virtual Board & Committee Meetings November 18 - December 8, 2020 & Public Comment Instructions
- 11-20-2020: Updated TCAPS Notice of Virtual Board & Committee Meetings November 18-December 8, 2020 & Public Comment Instructions
- 11-17-2020: TCAPS Notice of Virtual Board & Committee Meetings November 18-December 8, 2020 & Public Comment Instructions
- 11-16-2020: TCAPS Notice of Virtual Special Board Meeting November 16, 2020 & Public Comment Instructions - CANCELLED
- 9-4-20: TCAPS Board of Education Virtual Meeting Notice for September 2020 & Public Comment Instructions
- 8-3-20: TCAPS Board of Education Virtual Meeting Notice for August 2020 & Public Comment Instructions
- 7-27-20 Notice of Special HR Policy Committee Meeting and Full Board Meeting
- 7-1-20: TCAPS Board of Education Virtual Meeting Notice for July 2020 & Public Comment Instructions
- 5-29-20: TCAPS Board of Education Virtual Meeting Notice for June 2020 & Public Comment Instructions
- 5-11-20: Notice of May 2020 Virtual School Board Meetings & Public Comment Instructions
- 5-11-20: Notice of May 15, 2020, Virtual Superintendent Candidate Community Forum & Public Question Submission Instructions
- 4-25-20 & 4-27-20 Notice of Virtual School Board Meeting & Public Comment Instructions
- 4-13-20 Notice of Virtual School Board Meeting & Public Comment Instructions
Meeting Location Notices
Public Hearing Notices
- Budget Hearing Public Notice - 6-27-22
- Sex Education Curriculum Public Hearing Notice- 06-27-22 & 07-18-22
- Pre-Labor Day Start Waiver Public Hearing Notice - 04-12-2022
- Sex Education Curriculum Public Hearing Notice - 9-7-21 & 9-13-21
- Budget Hearing Public Notice - 6-28-21
- Anti-Bullying Policy Public Hearing Notice - 5-10-2021
- Sex Education Curriculum Public Hearing Notice - 4-8-21 & 4-12-21
- 6-22-19 Public Hearing Notice - Budget Hearing
- 06-24-19 Public Hearing Notice - Budget Hearing
- Sex Education Curriculum Public Hearing Notice - 5-16-19 & 6-10-19
- 06-25-18 Public Hearing Notice - Budget Hearing
- Sex Education Public Hearing Notice - 10-19-17 & 11-13-17
- June 26, 2017, Public Hearing – Budget Hearing
Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Requests
Interested in Becoming A Board Member?
Interested in Becoming A Board Member?
The Role of a Board Member
Becoming a board member is a big responsibility that provides an important service to the community and its youth. As a board member, you will be asked to provide input and direction on a wide variety of issues including the district's educational programs, financial priorities and overall policymaking. Another key component of serving on a school board is community relations. School boards help build community understanding of and support for public education.
TCAPS Board Election Schedule
The Board of Education is responsible for:
- Envisioning the school district's educational direction and to set goals/strategies that will guide the district toward that vision.
- Hiring a superintendent to implement the board's policies and effectively manage the district to accomplish its goals.
- Monitoring/assessing the district's performance and to engage/inform the community.
- Advocating for students and public schools within the community, state and nation.
Board Member Training
With such great responsibilities, it's important for board members to recognize that there will be a lot to learn as they begin their new position, not only about the school district itself, but also about their role on the board. To assist individual board members navigate their new role and to help the school board function effectively as a whole, all board members are required to:
- Participate in TCAPS' school board orientation process under the guidance of experienced board members and the superintendent.
- Attend a workshop for new board members conducted by state and area school board associations (MASB).
- Review TCAPS' board policies.
Board Member Resources
- TCAPS Board Policies 0000 for Board Bylaws
- TCAPS Board Standards of Practice Agreement
- A School Board Member's Resource Guide: First Year Orientation
Provided by Michigan Association of School Boards (MASB)
- MASB Candidate's Guide to School Board Elections
- MASB Checklist for New Board Member Orientation
- Open Meetings Act
- Robert's Rules of Order Cheat Sheet
- Robert's Rules of Order Quick Reference
TCAPS Board Resolutions
April is Social Host Responsibility Month
At its March 13, 2023, Board of Education meeting, board members signed a proclamation stating April 2023 is Social Host Responsibility Month and calls upon all parents, citizens, homeowners, and property owners to host gatherings responsibly and to take measures to eliminate access to alcohol to persons under the age of 21. Read the full proclamation.
November 14, 2022 Board Resolution Signed
TCAPS Board of Education adopted a resolution during their regular meeting held November 14, 2022, known as the BE SMART Gun Safety Resolution. The resolution focuses on the importance of gun safety and firearm storage. Read the full resolution.
July 26, 2021 Board Resolution Signed
The TCAPS Board of Education signed a resolution at the July 26, 2021 meeting condemning racism and all other forms of discrimination, harassment and bullying and affirm their commitment to an inclusive school environment for all. Read the full resolution.
TCAPS Board of Education Approves Resolution to Renew Coast Guard City Designation
Long-standing partnership with USCG Air Station Traverse City benefits students and community
Traverse City Area Public Schools (TCAPS) is pleased to announce that the Board of Education approved a resolution on March 9, 2020, to support the renewal of Traverse City’s designation as a “Coast Guard City.”
The memorandum from TCAPS Interim Superintendent Jim Pavelka supporting the resolution was read by Board Secretary Pam Forton at the Board of Education’s March 9th meeting. It states:
“Traverse City Area Public Schools (TCAPS) has a long and proud history of working in close partnership with the U.S. Coast Guard Air Station Traverse City.
As a school district, it is an honor and privilege to assist families assigned to Traverse City with enrollment in our district and to provide additional support and resources as outlined by the Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children.
In addition, Coast Guard members and families are highly involved in community events like the U.S. Coast Guard Cup and TC Patriot Game. They provide tours, demonstrations, and learning opportunities for our students, and volunteer in our classrooms as guest readers and mentors. Our partnership in education has been vital to our students and our community.
For these reasons, it is the recommendation of TCAPS Administration that the Board of Education adopt a resolution to support the designation of Traverse City as a ‘Coast Guard City’.”
The resolution was approved by the TCAPS Board of Education by a unanimous vote.
“TCAPS is proud to partner with Air Station Traverse City and to support Coast Guard families as they serve as “Guardians of the Great Lakes” performing search and rescue, maritime safety and security, and environmental protection along our local waterways and beyond,” said Jim Pavelka, interim superintendent for Traverse City Area Public Schools.
TCAPS learning communities offer a great place for students from Coast Guard families to make friends, challenge their imagination, and continue on their educational journey. TCAPS recognizes the need to provide incoming families with expertise and individualized support that includes careful assessment, placement, and ongoing communication in order to result in a successful transition into Traverse City and its schools, as well as, to prepare for a student’s next school transition.
Read the full proclamation here.
TCAPS Statement on School Safety, Diversity and Inclusion
(as read at the Board of Education meeting on June 8, 2020)
On behalf of Traverse City Area Public Schools (TCAPS), we would like to publicly reaffirm our commitment as a Board and school district to ensuring the safety and inclusion of EACH student and to valuing diversity within our institution. Under the Blueprint, the district’s strategic plan, one of TCAPS’ core values is to provide a learning environment that is grounded in a safe, orderly, and respectful environment for students. Furthermore, the Board’s Anti-Harassment Policy 5517.01 supports providing safe learning environments for all students by prohibiting harassment due to an individual’s race, ethnicity, religion or disability.
We know that children who attend public school have broader educational experiences, because on top of the opportunity to master academic concepts and skills, students also have a chance to meet and interact with people who are not like them and who come from different and diverse backgrounds. As an institution, we are committed to continuing to work tirelessly to provide safety and security for EACH of our students, as well as for our staff and families. We are also committed to creating welcoming school environments, to celebrating all that makes us unique and special as individuals, and to protecting each child’s right to a free and fair public education.
Board Resolution in Support of State and Federal Funding for Schools
On Monday, June 8, 2020, the TCAPS Board of Education adopted a resolution in support of state and federal funding for schools. View the Board resolution here.
Board Resolution for Electronic Participation
On November 9, 2020, the TCAPS Board of Education adopted a resolution in support of electronic participation for Board meetings. View the Board resolution here.