Enrolling Your Child in TCAPS!
Thank you for considering Traverse City Area Public Schools for your child’s educational journey. We are delighted to partner with you to help your child and every student reach his or her potential in an engaging, inspiring and challenging environment.
With the support of our dedicated team of educators, staff and administrators, TCAPS students are challenged to use their imaginations, engage their critical thinking skills and become inspired to develop habits that will help them continue to learn and grow for the rest of their lives.
We invite you to become fully involved in the educational journey of your student and our community’s youth—as a parent, volunteer, mentor, booster and community supporter of our public schools. The Board of Education, administration and staff of TCAPS are grateful to serve our community’s youth and for the many caring circles of families and friends who work together in partnership with our schools to create a bright future for our children.
Want to learn more about a particular school?
Parents and students interested in learning more about any of our schools are welcome to schedule a tour. To schedule a tour, please contact the school office directly. Our staff will be very happy to work with you and answer any questions that you may have about enrollment, programs or the school itself. View a listing of our schools. Additional information for prospective families can be found under the For Parents tab.
The forms below are not intended for preschool students. Preschool enrollment is an online process that requires an access ID prior to registering. For more information on enrolling your preschooler, please visit our preschool webpage or call 231.933.1759.
K-12 Enrollment Forms
The following forms need to be completed and turned in prior to your K-12 child attending his/her first day of school with TCAPS:
- Student Registration Form (for students new to the district) or Student Transfer Form ( if transferring your student from one TCAPS school to another)
- Immunization record in accordance with state statute. Students who enroll in a public school who do not have up-to-date immunizations or an authorized waiver will not be allowed to attend school until appropriate paperwork is on file in the school office. [view immunization requirements]
- Certified birth certificate or other birth documentation if accompanied by a birth affidavit (A birth affidavit form can be obtained from any school office)
- Proof of residency in the TCAPS district or paperwork requesting release from another school district
- If you live outside the TCAPS district, but wish to attend a TCAPS school, please also complete the [Schools of Choice Form]
- If you live within the TCAPS district, but wish to attend a TCAPS school other than your home school, please also complete an Open Enrollment Form (Montessori Open Enrollment Form).
The following forms are not required in order to attend a TCAPS school, however, the information would allow TCAPS to better serve you and your child:
- Transportation Request Form – complete only if you will need transportation to/from school. A separate form must be completed for each student.
- Health Appraisal Form – complete if enrolling in a licensed programs only (i.e. preschool, extended day care, summer adventure day camp)
- Online Free or Reduced Lunch Application – only one application is needed per family and can be completed online at www.lunchapp.com or obtained at any TCAPS school office. [Download Printable Free or Reduced Lunch Application]
- Home language surveys
- Directory Information Notice – By law, TCAPS is required to release “directory information” on all students. To view a full definition of directory information, please refer to the annual notifications webpage or in the TCAPS student handbooks. If you have any objections regarding the release of this information about your child, please notify the school your child will be attending in writing.
Where to Send Completed Registration Forms
Enrollment forms may be returned directly to the main office of the school your child will be attending. View school locations/mailing addresses here.
For additional K-12 enrollment questions, please contact Mary Beth Stein at 231.933.1718 or firstname.lastname@example.org. For preschool questions, please contact Kelly Gignilliat at 231.933.1759 or email@example.com.
Kindergarten Starting Age: Must be 5 by September 1
To enroll in kindergarten, a child must be five years old on or before September 1 of the enrollment year. However, according to Michigan law,* if a child residing in a district is not five years of age on or before September 1, but will turn five years of age not later than December 1 of the enrollment year, the parent or legal guardian may choose to enroll their child in kindergarten by completing a Kindergarten Waiver Form to enroll his/her student in school.
When in receipt of a waiver request, districts can make recommendations to the child’s parent or legal guardian, as to the child’s readiness for school, and whether or not the child should be enrolled early. Regardless of a district’s recommendation, the parent or legal guardian retains the sole discretion to enroll their child. Questions regarding enrollment should be directed to Mary Beth Stein at firstname.lastname@example.org or 231.933.1718.