Employee Tuition Assistance
Employees who hold a regular position and work .40 FTE or greater may be eligible for tuition reimbursement for classes taken at state-supported accredited institutions in Michigan (and other out-of-state accredited institutions as approved in advance) relating to your position or the field of education.
Please note, all requests for approval must be submitted electronically via the GoogleForm tool. Reimbursement for a full-time staff member is ½ the tuition cost or prorated if you are less than full time, based on a full-time equivalency. Fees are not reimbursed.
To start the process for reimbursement, complete the Course Approval Request GoogleForm and press “Submit” at the bottom of the form. Please complete the Course Approval Request GoogleForm prior to taking the course(s). You will be notified via email whether your request has been approved or not. If approved, a copy of your request will be sent to Ashley Wills to match up with your final paperwork once you have completed the course.
Once you have completed the course, please send the following to Ashley Wills, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Grade report showing successful grade and credits earned for the course.
- Receipt from the university showing the tuition charge and proof of payment for the charge (i.e. copy of canceled check, bank statement, or credit card statement).
Please note: grants and scholarships reduce your tuition charges and are, therefore, considered when calculating reimbursement. Human Resources will process a reimbursement check within two weeks after receipt of the paperwork. Reimbursement checks will be sent as a separate check and will not be included in regular paychecks.
For questions regarding eligibility or the reimbursement process, please feel free to contact Employee Benefits Coordinator Ashley Wills at 231.933.1720 or email@example.com
NEW - 100% Tuition Reimbursement Program
The program outline is as follows:
Available to current TCAPS teachers interested in obtaining additional endorsement areas and/or Michigan certificates/licenses in a specialized area related to the field of education:
- The endorsement areas that are currently approved by the district for this program include Special Education, English as a Second Language (ESL), and American Sign Language (ASL). The degree programs of study include a Master's in Social Work degree with a School Social Work concentration program.
- 100% tuition reimbursement
- Current teachers must apply and be selected to complete the specialized endorsement and/or certification/license program - following the district’s 100% Tuition Reimbursement Program Application Process.
- The district will periodically notify staff on specific endorsements and/or licenses that are eligible for the 100% Tuition Reimbursement Program;
- There is a service requirement at the completion of the program (or waived at district’s discretion) equal to the amount of time taken to complete the planned program;
- If the employee does not complete the TCAPS service requirement, the employee must pay back 50% of the tuition fees to the district.
Grand Valley State University Programs
GVSU Company Deferment Plan
The GVSU Company Deferment Plan is for students who qualify for their employer’s tuition reimbursement program and allows the amount of tuition and fees paid for by the employer to be deferred until the end of the semester. Any amount of tuition, fees, and other charges (including parking permits) not paid for by the employer must be received by the tuition deadline and included with this application. Complete the Deferment Plan application here.
GVSU Health Related Academic Program
TCAPS is currently affiliated with Grand Valley State University (GVSU) to offer a health-related academic program. For questions, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or 231-933-1710.