Middle School Information

TCAPS Middle Schools

Traverse City Area Public Schools has two middle schools, Traverse City East and Traverse City West. Both are organized as a "school-within-a-school" concept. Each wing office has a team consisting of an administrator, school counselor, and an administrative assistant. This team uses a collaborative approach to guide each student through the middle school years. Continuity is achieved by having the same wing office staff and resources supporting students as they progress from year to year. 

Developing Your Roadmap For High School Graduation & Beyond

Middle school is the time to get your roadmap in place so you can take advantage of many TCAPS opportunities available. Did you know you may already be earning high school credits from some classes you have taken — such as world language, algebra, geometry, and environmental science?

Jump start your high school journey now so you can take advantage of exciting options. You can choose to dual enroll at NMC and also take Advanced Placement courses to earn college credits while you are still in high school. Choose to take part in any number of global study exchange programs that TCAPS offers; or find an internship learning opportunity and explore a career that interests you.

Begin your roadmap today and discuss your options with your parents, teachers, and counselors.

Seventh and Eighth Grade Students Can Earn High School Graduation Credits

As part of their regular course work, all TCAPS 8th grade students can earn high school credit in math and science, both 7th and 8th grade students may earn high school credit in world language. Credits can be earned when students pass designated tests in these content areas. No sign up required.

Course Guides

Course Guides


Obtaining Student Work Permits

Student Work Permits

Per Governor Gretchen Whitmer’s External LinkExecutive Order 2020-140 that took effect on June 30, 2020, and expires on July 31, 2020, school districts are permitted to continue to complete work permits by remote/electronic means due to COVID-19. Therefore, TCAPS is processing work permits remotely through email through July 31, 2020. Following is the District’s temporary process:

  1. Student obtains a copy of the appropriate blank work permit form from his/her employer or by using the appropriate link below (based on student age). The requirements of printing on colored paper, front to back have been temporarily lifted by External LinkExecutive Order 2020-140):

    External LinkLink to Work Permit for students ages 16 or 17

    External LinkLink to Work Permit for students under 16 years of age
  2. Student completes Section 1.
  3. Student takes the form to his/her employer.
  4. Employer completes Section 2.
  5. Student sends completed form to his/her school as an email attachment (i.e., scanned document or photograph). If student is unable to email form as an attachment please contact your school for assistance (see contact list below):
Central High School  Ashley Hart
Britny Schwartz
Traverse City High School Jill Cheever Cheeverji@tcaps.net
West Senior High School

Tammy Brunan

East Middle School Mindy Neuhardt neuhardtmi@tcaps.net
West Middle School Mandi Furstenberg
Barb Parker



  1. School reviews the work permit, confirms information with the student's PowerSchool record, and completes Section 3 of the work permit.

  2. School emails the student the completed and signed work permit.

  3. Student prints the completed work permit and takes it to his/her employer.  

  4. While the email method is preferred, as an alternative to the email process, a student may still present his/her work permit and school ID card in person at his/her school’s main office during the summer months Monday through Thursday, between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m, or at the Tompkins Boardman Administration Center (412 Webster Street, Traverse City, MI 49686) in the Human Resources office on the first floor, Monday through Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. PLEASE NOTE, A FACE MASK IS REQUIRED TO ENTER ANY TCAPS SCHOOL BUILDING OR THE ADMINISTRATION CENTER, AND SOCIAL DISTANCING MUST BE PRACTICED WHILE IN THE BUILDING.

    If you have questions about this process or need further assistance, please email your school contact as listed above or call Human Resources at 231.933.1710.