Extended Day Child Care Program
TCAPS extended day child care programs are licensed by the State of Michigan. Extended day programs are available at TCAPS elementary schools (pending enrollment) for students preschool-age through grade 5, with select schools offering extended hours for preschool-age students. The programs offer the opportunity for personal attention from an experienced staff and enrichment activities that develop social skills, teamwork and interpersonal relationships.
Daily activities include: group games and sports, arts and crafts, individual projects, social time, homework and study time, outside activities, and gym and library time when available.
2019-2020 Registration Information
Online Registration Opens July 24, 2019
Over the past school year, TCAPS has conducted a thorough review of its tuition-based child care programs to seek out opportunities to improve services for both staff and families while ensuring that our programs remain in compliance with state licensing regulations at all times.
Although we are not to accommodate drop-in requests or guarantee that we can meet 100% of each individual family’s needs at all times, we are very hopeful that the adjustments made to the program for the 2019-2020 school year will provide increased scheduling flexibility and more efficient/accurate billing.
Here’s what you need to know about extended day services for next year:
Expanded Schedule Flexibility
- Families are no longer required to maintain one set schedule for the full school year.
- Schedules will be requested/set in four-week increments (each day or week can be different). This four-week schedule will remain the same throughout the year unless a schedule change request is submitted and approved.
- Schedule change requests can be submitted during designated change request periods which are notated on the Extended Day Schedule Change Calendar. Once the request period closes, families will be notified within one week of whether their change request for the following four-week period can be accommodated.
- In the event that a change request cannot be accommodated, families will be contacted.
- To ensure licensing compliance, the following will be considered when determining whether a schedule change request can be accommodated: staff-to-student ratios, physical space limitations, and whether additional staff can be added on needed days/mornings/afternoon.
- Placement priority will be based on students' maximization of services and is not on a first come, first serve basis.
Improved Billing Cycle
- Billing will now be assessed on Fridays based on the current week schedule. Snow days will automatically be removed from your weekly bill, eliminating the need for snow day credit at the end of the school year.
- The program is staffed based on the scheduled number of children expected to attend each day. Families will be charged for the weekly schedule they signed up for whether their child is able to attend all scheduled days or not.
- Families needing to discontinue extended day care services can do so at any time and do not need to wait for the change request period. However, a drop form must be completed and a minimum of one week’s notice must be given. Unfortunately, there is no guarantee of getting a spot back once dropped as it may be filled by another student.
- Online registration will open July 24, 2019 once the 2019-2020 student database has been activated. (See Online Registration section below for registration instructions).
- To be considered for placement and be able to utilize extended day care services for the first week of school (Sept. 3-6), students must be registered with all forms completed no later than August 19th. This deadline is necessary to ensure appropriate staffing. Please do not wait until your school's open house to register as this will be too late.
- Families registered on or before August 19th will be notified the week of August 26th of their placement status.
- There will be a $30 registration fee per student registered prior to the August 19th registration deadline.
Students not FULLY registered by August 19th cannot utilize extended day services the first week of school.
- Pending approval and placement, students who register after August 19th may begin attending extended day the week of September 9th. A $40 registration fee will be assessed for students registering between August 19th and September 6th.
Online Registration & E-Funds Information
Online Registration Opens Wednesday, July 24, 2019
The online extended day registration process is completed through the PowerSchool (Parent) Public Portal. Before starting the registration process, you will need to have your child's unique PIN number which can be obtained from your child's school office.
Please Note: PowerSchool registration does not work on mobile devices (phone, tablet, iPad, etc). You must use a laptop or desktop computer.
PowerSchool Public Portal Information
For additional registration information, contact Kelly Gignilliat at 231.933.1759.
Program Locations & Contact Information
Before school hours begin at 7:00 a.m. and continue until the start of the school day. The after school hours begin when the school day ends and continues until 6:00 p.m. each day. The program starts with the first scheduled day of school and ends with the last scheduled day of school.
Child care is not available on weekdays where a half-day of school is scheduled.