TCAPS Board of Education
The TCAPS Board of Education is made up of seven members elected to four-year terms. The Board of Education meets twice per month and holds quarterly retreats. School board members also serve on Board of Education committees, attend local and regional meetings and host community dialogues.
Interested in Becoming A Board Member?
The Role of a Board Member
Becoming a board member is a big responsibility that provides an important service to the community and its youth. As a board member, you will be asked to provide input and direction on a wide variety of issues including the district's educational programs, financial priorities and overall policymaking. Another key component of serving on a school board is community relations. School boards help build community understanding of and support for public education.
The Board of Education is responsible for:
- Envisioning the school district's educational direction and to set goals/strategies that will guide the district toward that vision.
- Hiring a superintendent to implement the board's policies and effectively manage the district to accomplish its goals.
- Monitoring/assessing the district's performance and to engage/inform the community.
- Advocating for students and public schools within the community, state and nation.
With such great responsibilities, it's important for board members to recognize that there will be a lot to learn as they begin their new position, not only about the school district itself, but also about their role on the board. To assist individual board members navigate their new role and to help the school board function effectively as a whole, all board members are encouraged to:
- Participate in TCAPS' school board orientation process under the guidance of experienced board members and the superintendent.
- Attend a workshop for new board members conducted by state and area school board associations (MASB).
- Review TCAPS' board policies.
Board Member Resources
- TCAPS Board Policy 0140: Board Membership
- TCAPS Board Standards of Practice Agreement
- A School Board Member's Resource Guide: First Year Orientation
Provided by Michigan Association of School Boards (MASB)
- 2018 Candidate's Guide to School Board Elections
- MASB Checklist for New Board Member Orientation
- Open Meetings Act
- Robert's Rules of Order Cheat Sheet
- Robert's Rules of Order Quick Reference
2018 Board Members
Erik J. Falconer, President
Jane Klegman, Trustee
|Sue Kelly, Vice President
PO Box 847 / 49685
Term Expires: 12/2018
Jeff Leonhardt, Trustee
|Scott C. Hardy, Treasurer
521 Washington Street / 49686
Term Expires: 12/2018
Bill O. Smith, Trustee
Doris E. Ellery, Secretary
2018 Board Committees & Members
- Agenda Review Committee
Members: President, Vice President, 1 rotating board member and Superintendent P. Soma
- Communications Committee
Members: S. Kelly (Chair), S. Hardy, J. Klegman, (Alternate)
- Curriculum Committee
Members: D. Ellery (Chair), J. Klegman, B. Smith, (Alternate) S. Kelly
- Finance/Operations Committee
Members: S. Hardy (Chair), J. Leonhardt, B. Smith, (Alternate) E. Falconer
- HR/Policy Committee
Members: E. Falconer (Chair), D. Ellery, J. Leonhardt, (Alternate) S. Kelly
- TC – TCAPS Collective Resource Committee
Members: E. Falconer, S. Hardy
- Board of Education Members & Committees
Board & Committee Meeting Schedules
Board & Committee Agendas, Minutes, Documents
Click on the links below to view agendas and minutes from the following board committees:
- Meetings of the Full Board
- Board Communications Committee
- Board Curriculum Committee
- Board Finance/Operations Committee
- Board HR/Policy Committee
- Board Legal Counsel Interview Committee
- TBAISD/TCAPS Joint Board Finance Committee
- TC-TCAPS Collective Resource Committee
For More Information
Board agendas and minutes will be posted on the TCAPS website for the most recent 12 month period. For agendas or minutes dated beyond 12 months or for more information or questions, please contact Recording Secretary to the Board Stacey Hozak at 231.933.1725 or email@example.com.