TCAPS Board of Education
Due to a hardware issue, TCAPS is currently unable to rebroadcast programming on TV190. The district is actively working on identifying a solution. In the meantime, community members may view the meetings as broadcast live on TV190, or live streamed or on demand for viewing anytime on the district's website (livestream.com/tcapslive/board).
For individuals who wish to give public comment at the August virtual Board Meetings, Finance & Operations Committee Meeting or the Curiculum Committee meeting, please complete the Public Comment Request form prior to the meeting. Prior to the meeting, individuals who have signed up to provide comment will receive an email confirmation with a phone number and PIN to access the Google Hangout. Individuals providing public comment will need to call in and wait in a "virtual waiting room" where microphones will be muted by a moderator. When it is an individual caller’s turn to speak, they will be identified by the last two (2) digits of their phone number. Commenters will need to push *6 to unmute their microphone. Public comment requests will be handled in the order they are received. Please review the Virtual Meeting Notice below for instructions on making comments at committee meetings that are not viewable on TV190 or via livestream.
About the Board of Education
The TCAPS Board of Education is made up of seven members elected to four-year terms. The Board of Education meets twice per month and holds quarterly retreats. School board members also serve on Board of Education committees, attend local and regional meetings and host community dialogues.
Interested in Becoming A Board Member?
Interested in Becoming A Board Member?
The Role of a Board Member
Becoming a board member is a big responsibility that provides an important service to the community and its youth. As a board member, you will be asked to provide input and direction on a wide variety of issues including the district's educational programs, financial priorities and overall policymaking. Another key component of serving on a school board is community relations. School boards help build community understanding of and support for public education.
The Board of Education is responsible for:
- Envisioning the school district's educational direction and to set goals/strategies that will guide the district toward that vision.
- Hiring a superintendent to implement the board's policies and effectively manage the district to accomplish its goals.
- Monitoring/assessing the district's performance and to engage/inform the community.
- Advocating for students and public schools within the community, state and nation.
Board Member Training
With such great responsibilities, it's important for board members to recognize that there will be a lot to learn as they begin their new position, not only about the school district itself, but also about their role on the board. To assist individual board members navigate their new role and to help the school board function effectively as a whole, all board members are required to:
- Participate in TCAPS' school board orientation process under the guidance of experienced board members and the superintendent.
- Attend a workshop for new board members conducted by state and area school board associations (MASB).
- Review TCAPS' board policies.
Board Member Resources
- TCAPS Board Policies 0000 for Board Bylaws
- TCAPS Board Standards of Practice Agreement
- A School Board Member's Resource Guide: First Year Orientation
Provided by Michigan Association of School Boards (MASB)
- 2018 Candidate's Guide to School Board Elections
- MASB Checklist for New Board Member Orientation
- Open Meetings Act
- Robert's Rules of Order Cheat Sheet
- Robert's Rules of Order Quick Reference
Nov. 2020 Regular School Election Information
TCAPS Board of Education will have three, four-year terms open for the November 3, 2020 election. The four-year terms will run from January 1, 2021 through December 31, 2024. Prospective candidates may pick up their candidate information packets at the Grand Traverse County Clerk’s Office, 400 Boardman Avenue, Traverse City, MI 231.922.4760.
Dates to Remember:
- Nomination of Board Candidate(s)
Tuesday, July 21, 2020 – 4:00 PM
Affidavit of Identity & Petition or $100 Filing Fee with County Clerk’s Office
- Withdrawal of Board Candidate(s)
Friday, July 24, 2020 – 4:00 PM
In writing with County Clerk’s Office
- Absentee Ballots
Saturday, September 19, 2020
Must be available to voters no later than this date
- Registration Notice Publication
Once, on or before Monday, October 5, 2020
- Last Day of Registration to Vote
Monday, October 19, 2020
Other than in person with the local clerk
- Write-in Candidates Must File Declaration of Intent
On or before Friday, October 23, 2020 - 4:00 PM
- Election Notice Publication
Once, on or before Tuesday, October 27, 2020
- Election Day
Tuesday, November 3, 2020
2020 Board Members
M. Sue Kelly, President
Jane E. Klegman, Trustee
|Jeffrey A. Leonhardt, Vice President
1118 Pine Needle Lane/ 49686
Term Expires: 12/2020
Matt R. Anderson, Treasurer
Erica L. Moon Mohr, Trustee
Pamela G. Forton, Secretary
2020 Board Committees & Members
- Agenda Review Committee
Members: President, Vice President, 1 rotating board member and Superintendent
- Communications Committee
Members: J. Klegman (Chair), M. Anderson, E. Moon Mohr, (Alternate: J. Leonhardt)
- Curriculum Committee
Members: P. Forton (Chair), B. McGuire, E. Moon Mohr, (Alternate: J. Klegman)
- Finance/Operations Committee
Members: M. Anderson (Chair), P. Forton, J. Leonhardt, (Alternate: S. Kelly)
- HR/Policy Committee
Members: J. Leonhardt (Chair), J. Klegman, B. McGuire, (Alternate: S. Kelly)
- TC – TCAPS Collective Resource Committee
- Round Table
Member: Rotating Board Member
- Reinstatement Committee
Members: S. Kelly, P. Forton (Alternate: J. Leonhardt)
- Nutrition and Wellness Committee
Member: J. Klegman
- District Network
Members: S. Kelly (Alternate: J. Leonhardt)
- Board of Education Members & Committees
Board & Committee Meeting Schedules
Board & Committee Agendas, Minutes, Documents
Click on the links below to view agendas and minutes from the following board committees:
- Meetings of the Full Board
- Board Communications Committee
- Board Curriculum Committee
- Board Finance/Operations Committee
- Board HR/Policy Committee
- Board Legal Counsel Interview Committee
- Board Montessori Visioning Task Force
- Board Search Firm Interview Task Force
- Board Superintendent Task Force
- TBAISD/TCAPS Joint Board Finance Committee
- TC-TCAPS Collective Resource Committee
For More Information
Board agendas and minutes will be posted on the TCAPS website for the most recent 12 month period. For agendas or minutes dated beyond 12 months or for more information or questions, please contact Recording Secretary to the Board Stacey Hozak at 231.933.1725 or email@example.com.
Watch Board Meetings Live & On Demand
Board Policies & Guidelines
Board Vision, Strategic Plan & Capital Plan
Public Hearing Notices
Public Records Requests
Social Host Responsibility Month
April is Social Host Responsibility Month
At its March 9, 2020, Board of Education meeting, board members signed a proclamation stating April 2020 is Social Host Responsibility Month and calls upon all parents, citizens, homeowners and property owners to host gatherings responsibly and to take measures to eliminate access to alcohol to persons under the age of 21. Read the full proclamation.