Parents & Students
Below you will find information, resources and links to the most commonly asked for information.
TCAPS 2020-2021 Safe Start Plan
Visit www.tcaps.net/safestart to view TCAPS' 2020-2021 Safe Start Plan and watch a health and safety protocols video showing some of the new precautions put into place in preparation for for the new school year. Additional information will be shared on this page throughout the school year.
2020-21 K-12 Course Catalog
TCAPS offers both in-person and 100% virtual learning options for students in grades K-12. View TCAPS' 2020-21 K-12 Course Catalog here.
Timeless Image School Picture Packages
Timeless Image School Picture Package: use code: 3220
Photos can be ordered through Sept. 28 using this code. After that, please call Timeless directly at 231.929.1010.
- Menus & Prices
- Nutritional Information
- Pay for Lunch Online
- My School Interactive Online Menus
- My School Menus Video Tutorial
- Free/Reduced Online Lunch Application
- Request for Special Dietary Needs Accommodation Form
Find Out if You Qualify for Free/Discounted Meals
TCAPS is proud to offer healthy meals to our students every school day. Children need healthy meals to fuel their learning and your child(ren) may qualify for free or reduced meal benefits.
Whether or not your child plans to participate in the free and/or reduced meals program, the information is vital for the district. It is used not only to determine meal prices for qualifying families, but it is also used as part of the application process for a number of grants and other opportunities TCAPS participates in. We are pleased to be able to offer qualifying families with free or discounted meal rates, so if you think your family might qualify, please apply today.
PowerSchool Public Portal
There are multiple ways you can find out if school is closed due to inclement weather:
- All local radio and televisions stations announce school closings on a regular basis
- Call the bus hotline - 231.933.1955
- Visit the district website or the school website. A pop up will come on the screen if there is a closing alert (pop up blocker must be turned off)
- Follow the district on Facebook and/or Twitter
Want more information? View Snow Day FAQs
WMS Ski Club Info
Students may access the Learning Center for academic assistance, tutoring, help with study skills, etc. Computers are available for student use.
- Learning Center Hours: 7:50 AM - 1:53 PM (closed during resource period)
WMS Counseling Staff
- 6th Grade
Paul Crowley, Counselor
- 7th Grade
Marci Perthes, Counselor
- 8th Grade
Kathryn Baumann, Counselor
Free tutoring is available every Monday & Wednesday from 2:45 PM -4:00 PM in the LMC and staffed by certified teachers.
Bully Prevention: What's Best for West?
West Middle School believes that all children want to be successful and feel connected to a caring environment. We are committed to creating a school environment that promotes empathy. By teaching, modeling, and reinforcing interpersonal skills, as well as consequences in response to bullying, we empower students and staff to keep our school a safe and caring place for all.
Clubs & Academic Teams
Classroom Resource Links
Helpful Research Websites
Dictionaries & Encyclopedias
Visit the School Store For All Your Titan Needs!
We're looking forward to celebrating our 10th year! New 2016-2017 school store hours will be determined with student volunteers after school resumes in the fall. Stop by and see us during fall registration and open houses.
Brandy Gallagher, Advisor
Student Work Permits
Student Work Permits
Following is the school district’s process for student work permits:
- Student obtains a copy of the appropriate blank work permit form from his/her employer or by using the appropriate link below (based on student age).
- Student completes Section 1.
- Student takes the form to his/her Employer.
- Employer completes Section 2.
- Student goes to his/her school or the administration office with completed form and school ID or state ID card/driver’s license.
- School or administration office reviews the work permit, confirms information with the student's PowerSchool record and ID that is presented, and completes Section 3 of the work permit. School makes a copy of the work permit for the student's file.
- Student takes his/her completed work permit to his/her employer.
Please Note: A face mask is required toi enter any TCAPS school building or the administration center and social distancing must be practiced while in the building.
If you have questions about this process or need further assistance, please speak with your school’s main office or call Kelly Walter in TCAPS' Human Resources office at 231.933.1713.
- 6th Grade Attendance Line: 231.933.8220
- 7th Grade Attendance Line: 231.933.8300
- 8th Grade Attendance Line: 231.933.8260
Regular school attendance is important and a major factor in the academic success of each student. Active participation and interaction by students in the classroom is an essential part of the instructional process and is only experienced through regular attendance. The primary responsibility for ensuring regular school attendance rests with the parent(s)/guardian(s) and the student. Through the cooperative efforts of parent(s)/guardian(s), it is hoped each student will develop attendance habits and attitudes which will be helpful to his/her present and future endeavors.
All student absences and lateness (tardies) must be communicated with the school office.
Please be sure to include the following information when communicating with the school office:
- Student’s full name (with spelling)
- Teacher's name
- Applicable date and time
- Your name and relationship to the student
- Reason for the student’s absence (If ill: report student's symptoms and diagnosis by doctor if applicable)
- Length of time you expect the student to be absent or tardy
- Number where you can be reached
Bike/Walk Routes to School
Looking for safe routes to walk or bike to West Middle School?
Walking or biking to school is a great way to energize the mind and body, and gear up for a great day of learning. West Middle School has teamed up with Norte to help families get moving.
Norte has created a website offering WMS families suggested routes to school, ideas for getting active and frequently asked questions. It also includes the many walk/bike programs and events available including Fridays Fantásticos and so much more.
Busing & Transportation
If your busing needs change at any time, please contact your school office or call the transportation department at 231.933.1933 for more information.
Documents & Resources
- Athletic Physical Form
- Bus Pass Form
- Concussion Information & Form
- Enrollment Information & Forms
- Free/Reduced Lunch Online Application
- Medication Treatment Form
- Student/Parent Laptop Agreement Form
- Student Run Credit Union Application
Documents & Resources
- Annual Education Report
- Dress Code Guidelines
- Homework Tips for Parents
- Student Handbook
- School Safety Drills
- Video Explanation: Reading Your Student's NWEA Progress Report
- Orientation Presentation 5th-6th
- Orientation Presentation 6th-7th
- Orientation Presentation 7th-8th
- 5th into 6th FAQs
- 6th Grade Enrollment Request
- 7th Grade Enrollment Request
- 8th Grade Enrollment Request
- Electives Video
Services & Information
Field Trip Info & Forms
Pick Up, Drop Off & Parking
Interpreting during any meeting or translation of any documents will be provided for any parent who requests interpreting or translating. The process to request these services is:
- Contact your school and make a request. The school will then make the request through the Human Resources Department, and an interpreter will be provided.
- A school may use the Tele-Interpreter Service if no interpreter is available, or if interpreter/translation services are an immediate need.
Throughout the school year, West Middle School looks for parent volunteers to help in various positions. If you are interested in volunteering, please contact the main office or speak with your child's teacher. All volunteers will need to complete the district's online volunteer application and a background check before volunteering at the school. To complete the application and for more information on volunteering, please visit the district's volunteer page. Thank you for your support!