Parents & Students
Below you will find information, resources and links to the most commonly asked for information.
TCAPS 2022-23 K-12 Courses
TCAPS offers both in-person and 100% virtual learning options for students in grades K-12. Below you'll find resources to assist with your class selections:
Montessori Toddler & Primary Preschool Programs
2022-2023 Registration Open Now
Montessori Toddler & Primary Preschool Registration Process
- Toddler Program
Families interested in enrolling in the Toddler Montessori program will register online and should follow the online instructions found on the preschool webpage.
- Primary Preschool Program
Families interested in enrolling in the Primary Preschool Montessori program will register online and should follow the online instructions found on the preschool webpage.
Order Pictures with Timeless Image
TCAPS partners with Timeless Image, Inc. for school pictures. You can order pictures online at https://vando.imagequix.com/A9PRL9G. Use the Montessori school code of 8522. School picture date is September 13, 2022.
Attendance Hotline: 231.933.6420 or Email Us
Regular school attendance is important and a major factor in the academic success of each student. Active participation and interaction by students in the classroom is an essential part of the instructional process and is only experienced through regular attendance. The primary responsibility for ensuring regular school attendance rests with the parent(s)/guardian(s) and the student. Through the cooperative efforts of parent(s)/guardian(s), it is hoped each student will develop attendance habits and attitudes which will be helpful to his/her present and future endeavors.
All student absences and lateness (tardies) must be communicated with the school office.
Please be sure to include the following information when communicating with the school office:
- Student’s full name (with spelling)
- Teacher's name
- Applicable date and time
- Your name and relationship to the student
- Reason for the student’s absence (If ill: report student's symptoms and diagnosis by doctor if applicable)
- Length of time you expect the student to be absent or tardy
- Number where you can be reached
TCAPS Montessori is a state-funded, public school. Because we are a public school, there is no charge to enroll your Kindergarten - 8th Grade student in our program.
State funding is not provided for our toddler program or for our three and four year old primary students, so these programs are fee-based. Fee schedule information and specific age-level programming details are available in the toddler, primary and elementary sections above.
Please contact the Montessori office if you have any questions at 231.933.6420. Our staff will be happy to update you on program availability and email you all the necessary paperwork.
- Menus & Prices
- Nutritional Information
- Pay for Lunch Online
- My School Interactive Online Menus
- My School Menus Video Tutorial
- Free/Reduced Online Lunch Application
- Request for Special Dietary Needs Accommodation Form
Find Out if You Qualify for Free/Discounted Meals
TCAPS is proud to offer healthy meals to our students every school day. Children need healthy meals to fuel their learning and your child(ren) may qualify for free or reduced meal benefits.
Whether or not your child plans to participate in the free and/or reduced meals program, the information is vital for the district. It is used not only to determine meal prices for qualifying families, but it is also used as part of the application process for a number of grants and other opportunities TCAPS participates in. We are pleased to be able to offer qualifying families with free or discounted meal rates, so if you think your family might qualify, please apply today.
Bike/Walk Routes to School
Looking for safe routes to walk or bike to TCAPS Montessori?
Walking or biking to school is a great way to energize the mind and body, and gear up for a great day of learning. TCAPS Montessori has teamed up with Norte to help families get moving.
Norte has created a website offering TCAPS Montessori families suggested routes to school, ideas for getting active and frequently asked questions. It also includes the many walk/bike programs and events available including Fridays Fantásticos and so much more.
View Norte's Safe Routes to TCAPS Montessori Information.
Daily School Schedule
Start of Day Schedule
- Morning Carline: 8:00 AM - 8:15 AM
- School Begins: 8:15 AM
- Morning Primary Session Dismissal: 11:18 AM
- School is Dismissed (Peaceful Goodbyes): 3:11 PM
- Half Day Dismissal: 11:22 AM
- Early Release Dismissal: 1:11 PM
Children may be dropped off on Griffin starting at 8:00 AM. Lower and Upper Elementary children walk into the building through the Lower or Upper Elementary doors (opened by staff). Primary children will walk into their environments using the classroom doors. Please wait for an adult to be present before dropping your child off. Please also keep in mind that all school doors will be locked. The first bell rings at 8:10, with the tardy bell ringing at 8:15. If your student is late you much bring them around to the office and sign them in with either the QR code or the sign in sheet. Adults must enter through the office doors to sign in as a visitor to our school.
We are thrilled to announce the return of our “Peaceful Goodbyes” dismissal at the end of the day. This year, your child’s class will be waiting in a designated spot somewhere around the school. Simply park your car and walk up for your child. Peaceful Goodbye locations will be provided during our beginning of the school year open house. If you have multiple children in our program, all siblings will meet at the youngest child’s peaceful goodbye location. The teacher will shake your child’s hand, say goodbye and then your child will be dismissed from the group. Peaceful goodbyes provide a relaxed, respectful ending to a busy day of learning. It also aligns with our philosophy of peace and community. Please do adhere to the following safety guidelines. We count on you to be a good role model for safety!
- Always use crosswalks to cross the street. Crossing in the middle of the street is strictly prohibited.
- Be Respectful of our Peace Patrol. There will be students and volunteers on the sidewalks helping community members to follow safety procedures.
- Be a courteous and safe driver as you move through traffic.
- Please be on time. Children who have not been picked up by 3:25 will be safely waiting in the office.
- Please do enjoy the community gathering that usually takes place on the large playground after dismissal. This is a great time to get to know other families.
- If for some reason you are unable to walk up for a peaceful goodbye ending to the day, please contact the main office for alternate plans.
Documents & Resources
- Spanish Moodle for Families
- TCAPS 24/7 Anytime K-5 Online Learning
- TCAPS Elementary Tech Learning Resources
- Annual Education Report
- Elementary Student Handbook
- Secondary Student Handbook
- Montessori Toddler/Primary Handbook
- School Safety Drills
- District School Year Calendar
Services & Information
Field Trip Info & Forms
How to Report Bullying
How to Report Bullying
Traverse City Area Public Schools takes bullying very seriously and will investigate all reported incidents. Reports can be made by contacting your school office or by filling out the TCAPS Bullying Preventions & Intervention Incident Reporting Form.
All reported incidents reported will follow the bullying/cyberbullying investigative process.
TCAPS Montessori Peace Education Program
At TCAPS Montessori, every classroom participates in weekly lessons that combine the following peace education with our anti-bullying program! These specific peace lessons are taught on the first day of the week, first thing in the morning, and then remain our school-wide focus for the week. The following five character traits will be our focus this year:
- Perseverance: the steady persistence in a course of action, especially in spite of difficulties, obstacles or discouragement.
- Empathy: identifying with the feelings thoughts or attitudes of others.
- Attitude: your manner, feeling, position, etc, with regard to a person or thing. Tendency or orientation, especially of the mind.
- Courage: the quality of mind or spirit that enables a person to face difficulty, danger, pain, etc., without fear; bravery.
- Encouragement: to inspire with courage, spirit or confidence.
In is our hope that by tying our anti-bullying program to a unified daily Peace Pledge and the above Character Education that we will create a positive impact on our school community and the future of children!
Series written by the staff of TCAPS Montessori:
Library Media Center
Online Catalogs & Resources
TCAPS Elementary Library Media Website
Library Media Paraprofessional
Paying Tuition w/E-Funds
The online extended day registration process is completed through the PowerSchool (Parent) Public Portal. Before starting the registration process, you will need to have your child's unique PIN number which can be obtained from your child's school office.
PowerSchool Public Portal Information
For additional registration information contact the Early Childhood office at 231.933.1759 or email@example.com.
PowerSchool Public Portal
PowerSchool Public Portal can be accessed by both students and parents to view class schedules, keep track of grades and attendance, set up email notifications, and receive comments from teachers.
TCAPS Montessori PTO invites all parents to get involved in school activities and events and/or consider becoming a member of the PTO board. The PTO works throughout the year to bring quality enrichment opportunities to our students as well as raise funds for student programming. PTO meetings are held once a month and are open to the public. All Montessori families are encouraged to attend. Please join us to learn more.
- Visit our PTO webpage for meeting dates, times and board contact information.
- Visit our PTO Facebook for event photos, updates and more.
There are multiple ways you can find out if school is closed due to inclement weather:
- All local radio and televisions stations announce school closings on a regular basis
- Call the bus hotline - 231.933.1955
- Visit the district website or the school website. A pop up will come on the screen if there is a closing alert (pop up blocker must be turned off)
- Follow the district on Facebook and/or Twitter
Want more information? View Snow Day FAQs
Interpreting during any meeting or translation of any documents will be provided for any parent who requests interpreting or translating. The process to request these services is:
- Contact your school and make a request. The school will then make the request through the Human Resources Department, and an interpreter will be provided.
- A school may use the Tele-Interpreter Service if no interpreter is available, or if interpreter/translation services are an immediate need.
Throughout the school year, TCAPS Montessori looks for parent volunteers to help in various positions. If you are interested in volunteering, please contact the main office or speak with your child's teacher. All volunteers will need to complete the district's online volunteer application and a background check before volunteering at the school. To complete the application and for more information on volunteering, please visit the district's volunteer page. Thank you for your support!