TCAPS Montessori PTO
The TCAPS Montessori PTO invites all parents to get involved in school activities and events and/or considering becoming a member of the PTO board. The PTO works throughout the year to bring quality enrichment opportunities to our students as well as raise funds for student programming.
Top 10 Reasons to Get Involved in the PTO
Your child benefits. When parents get connected to the school, children do better. Research shows children whose parents are involved get better grades, do better on tests, and have fewer discipline problems at school.
We make a difference. Our mission is to create the kind of school community where teachers and administrators can do their best work—and so can our children. We provide support for teachers in and out of the classroom. We provide resources they need. We help create learning opportunities for children. And we try to build the kind of supportive, caring atmosphere that makes school fun.
We pledge to honor your time constraints. People are often reluctant to participate because they’re afraid they’ll get pulled into a black hole of never-ending time commitment. That won’t happen here. An hour or two a semester really makes a difference. And we won’t push you to commit more than you want to or are able to.
We have fun. Volunteer work shouldn’t be drudgery. We accomplish a lot, and not everything we do is easy. But we know we’re not balancing the national debt, either. We don’t take ourselves too seriously, and we try to enjoy ourselves along the way whenever possible.
Meet nice people who share your concerns. We all have a common bond. We care about creating the best possible educational experience for our children. We are neighbors and peers who share many of the same experiences. And many friendships have developed as a result of those connections.
There’s a lot to be done. These days, schools are asked to do more with less. Our help is needed more than ever to fill the gaps.
We can match jobs to your interests and abilities. The work we do covers a broad spectrum: filing and photocopying, planning and executing events, writing and editing, working directly with children, managing a budget and cash flow, and lots more. We encourage creative ideas, and we’re thrilled to have people take on tasks that meet their skills and interests.
We’re welcoming. To us, there are no “outsiders.” We are people who have come together to work toward common goals. We couldn’t be happier to have you join us in working toward those goals.
We’re about parent involvement, not fundraising. In these times of tight budgets, parent groups everywhere are having to fill in the gaps, and so are we. But our number one goal is to get more parents connected to the school. That’s because more than 300 independent research studies show that building parent involvement in education is the number one thing we can do to create a great school and improve student performance.
This work is very rewarding. It’s seeing the bright light of learning sparkle in a child’s eye. It’s seeing the smile that shows we’re making school a little more fun—and a child feel a little more comfortable in a learning environment. It’s learning that test scores have risen and knowing we played a role. There are lots of rewards, both big and small, for those who get involved. Won’t you join us?
Parents: You make all the difference!
We strongly encourage families to participate in volunteering for at least one event or service during the school year. Hundreds of independent studies on parent involvement show that when parents get involved in their children’s education, grades go up, test scores improve, children are more likely to attend better schools after high school, they have fewer discipline problems and they’re less likely to use drugs and alcohol. Thank you!
Parent Volunteers Are Needed For All Of These Activities
Throughout the school year, TCAPS Montessori looks for parent volunteers to help in various positions. All volunteers will need to complete the district's online volunteer application and a background check before volunteering at the school. To complete the application and for more information on volunteering, please visit the district's volunteer page. Thank you for your support!
To sign up for one of the volunteering opportunities below, please also complete the Montessori PTO Volunteer Information Sheet & Sign Up Form.
- Tons of Fun Field Day volunteer – one day commitment
- Family Arts Celebration volunteers – help plan this celebration of art, music, and drama OR volunteer that night to help with set-up, cake walk, face painting, etc.
- Movie Nights Coordinator
- Coordinate food for conference times
- Coordinate appreciation lunch in the spring
- Other ideas
- Please contact Kat Eldred if you would like to be on her email list seeking volunteers to help with conference meals and Happy Friday treats for staff.
- School “beautification” volunteer– seasonal flower pots
- Clean up days volunteer
- Projects determined by committee
- Book Fair support
- Family Reading Night coordinator and volunteers
- Projects as determined by committee
- Lunch time support
- Special meals coordinator
- Projects as determined by committee
- Flower Bulbs
- Ladies Night
- Road Rally
Spirit Wear Coordinator
Drama Club / Save the Stage
Festival of Trees
Plan and execute our school tree with art teacher involvement
Cherry Festival Float
School Improvement Reps
Spelling checkers, field trip parents, etc.
- LEAP sports
- Odyssey of the Mind
PTO Board Meetings
PTO meetings are held once a month and are open to the public. Meetings are held on the third Tuesday of the month in the school library. Child care is provided. For additional information, please contact PTO president Ashlea Walter.
- September 18, 2018, 3:30PM - 5:00PM
- October 16, 2018, 4:00PM - 6:00PM *All Families Fall Gathering at Jacob's Corn Maze
- November 20, 2018, 5:30PM - 7:00PM
- January 15, 2018: 3:30 PM - 5:00 PP
- February 19, 2019: 5:30 PM – 7:00 PM *Adult social meeting after conferences / location TBA
- April 16, 2019: 5:30 PM – 7:00 PM
- May 21, 2019: 3:30 PM – 5:00 PM
Agendas & Minutes, Etc.
- May 2019 PTO Meeting Minutes
- January 2019 PTO Meeting Minutes
- November 2018 PTO Meeting Minutes
- September 2018 PTO Meeting Minutes
- May 2018 PTO Meeting Minutes
- March 2018 PTO Meeting Minutes
- January 2018 PTO Minutes
- November 2017 PTO Meeting Minutes
- October 2017 PTO Meeting Minutes
- September 2017 PTO Meeting Minutes
- May 2017 PTO Meeting Minutes
- March 2017 PTO Meeting Minutes
- February 2017 PTO Meeting Minutes
- October 2016 PTO Meeting Minutes
- October 2018 PTO Budget
- October 2018 Treasurer Report
- 2018-19 Proposed Budget
- 2017-18 Approved Budget Summary
- 2017-18 Approved Budget Expense
- 2017-18 Approved Budget Revenue
- 08-2016-17 PTO Finance Summary (09-2016 Meeting) xls
- 2016-17 Approved Budget Budget Expense
- 2016-17 Approved Budget Budget Revenue
- 2016-17 Approved Budget Budget Summary
- 2016-17 Budget CorrectedRevised Oct Mtg Budget Expense
- 2016-17 Budget CorrectedRevised Oct Mtg Budget Summary
- PTO Budget Summary Oct 2016 meeting
- PTO Treasurer's Report Oct 2016 mtg
PTO Board Members
PTO Board Committees
- The fundraising committee is charged with the organization and management of all events and activities that raise funds for our PTO.
Health & Wellness Committee
- The Health and Wellness Committee focuses on issues related to the well-being of our students and staff.
Building & Grounds Committee
- The building and grounds committee organizes numerous activities and special projects related to the improvement and upkeep of the school grounds and playground areas; as well as special issues that relate to the school building.
Community / Social Committee
- The community / social committee is about building a school community through a variety of events and activities.
- The communications committee is responsible for maintaining a variety of programs to keep parents, staff and students informed about all PTO activities. These include newsletters; website; emails; flyers and social media.
Staff Appreciation Committee
- Each year our Staff Appreciation Committee helps to arrange meals for our Teachers during Parent Teacher Conferences.