Parents & Students

Below you will find information, resources and links to the most commonly asked for information.


PDF DocumentAP Chemistry
PDF DocumentAP Language
PDF DocumentAP Literature and Composition
Google DocHonors ELA - 9th and 10th Grades

TCAPS 2023-24 K-12 Courses

TCAPS offers both in-person and 100% virtual learning options for students in grades K-12. Below you'll find resources to assist with your class selections:

TCAPS K-12 Course Catalog

High School Course Selection Guide

2024-25 Enrollment Information

General Enrollment Information

Order Pictures with Lifetouch

TCAPS partners with Lifetouch, Inc. for school pictures. You can order pictures online at External using your student ID or CHS Picture Day ID: EVTC3JSHS


How to Report Bullying

Traverse City Area Public Schools takes bullying very seriously and will investigate all reported incidents. Reports can be made by contacting your school office or by filling out the Google FormsTCAPS Bullying Preventions & Intervention Incident Reporting Form.  

All reported incidents reported will follow the PDF Documentbullying/cyberbullying investigative process.



Find Out if You Qualify for Free/Discounted Meals

TCAPS is proud to offer healthy meals to our students every school day. Children need healthy meals to fuel their learning and your child(ren) may qualify for free or reduced meal benefits

Whether or not your child plans to participate in the free and/or reduced meals program, the information is vital for the district. It is used not only to determine meal prices for qualifying families, but it is also used as part of the application process for a number of grants and other opportunities TCAPS participates in. We are pleased to be able to offer qualifying families with free or discounted meal rates, so if you think your family might qualify, please External Linkapply today

PowerSchool Public Portal can be accessed by both students and parents to view class schedules,  keep track of grades and attendance, set up email notifications, and receive comments from teachers. 

There are multiple ways you can find out if school is closed due to inclement weather:

  • All local radio and televisions stations announce school closings on a regular basis
  • Call the bus hotline - 231.933.1955
  • Visit theExternal Link district website or the school website. A pop up will come on the screen if there is a closing alert (pop up blocker must be turned off)
  • Follow the district on External LinkFacebook and/or External LinkTwitter

Want more information? View PDF DocumentSnow Day FAQs

For Students

Academic Assistance Services

For academic assistance information at Central High School, please contact: 

Tutoring Services

  • CHS offers free after school tutoring on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday, from 3:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. in the Testing Center, C161.  Tutoring is available for all students and subjects and levels. Every student is welcome and encouraged to attend.  For information regarding transportation, call 231.933.6552.
  • PDF DocumentTutor List - A list of tutors is compiled for you as a courtesy service of TCAPS. Certified teachers included on this list have indicated an interest in tutoring and have been reviewed by the TCAPS human resources staff. We recommend that you interview tutors to determine if they fit your needs and to make individual arrangements directly with the tutor. 

Clubs are an excellent way for students to be involved during their high school years. Below are several clubs offered at Central High School:

  • Debate Team
  • Fellowship of Chistian Athletes
  • Key Club 
  • Model United Nations
  • Natural Helpers
  • National Honor Society
  • Yearbook
  • Z-Club
  • View more club information

Don't see a club you want to join? Why not start one?


For Parents


If your busing needs change at any time, please contact your school office or call the transportation department at 231.933.1933 for more information.

New Student Enrollment Information

For enrollment information, please contact TC Central registrar External LinkKerriAnn Bonaddio, at 231.933.6509.

Before a student is actually enrolled at the high school we must have the following information:

  • Transcript of grades/classes earned to-date from previous school(s)

  • Immunization/Health Record in accordance with TCAPS Board Policy & State Statute (must be on file before student can receive schedule or attend) External LinkView Immunization Requirements

  • Certified Birth Certificate or other birth document along with a Birth Affidavit form

  • Proof of Residency in the Central High School attendance area (i.e. gas bill or lease) or a release (Schools of Choice form) from school district of residence

  • Release of Information card (if applicable)

  • Legal documentation for Custody/Guardianship/Court Ward status if applicable

Please contact KerriAnn Bonaddio at 231.933.6509 if your student will be enrolling at Central High School. An appointment will be scheduled after all above information has been provided.
For additional information and enrollment forms, please visit the External LinkTCAPS Enrollment Information webpage.

Interpreter/Translation Services

Interpreting during any meeting or translation of any documents will be provided for any parent who requests interpreting or translating. The process to request these services is:

  • Contact your school and make a request. The school will then make the request through the Human Resources Department, and an interpreter will be provided.
  • A school may use the Tele-Interpreter Service if no interpreter is available, or if interpreter/translation services are an immediate need.


Throughout the school year, Central High School looks for parent volunteers to help in various positions. If you are interested in volunteering, please complete our Google DocParent Volunteer Form. Thank you for your support!