Counseling Center & Student Services
View dates and times for the 2018-19 College Visits at Central High School.
Dual Enrollment/Early College
Dual Enrollment and Early College information can be found under the 'Programs to Get Ahead' tab below.
Test Out Information
Under Michigan legislation, high school students may request the opportunity to "test out" of any high school class they select. View additional Test Out information.
Course Enrollment Information
Course enrollment information can be found on the right hand side of this page under Additional Resources.
Academic Assistance Services
For academic assistance information at Central High School, please contact:
- Lana Jakubiak, 231.933.6589
- CHS offers free after school tutoring/homework help Monday, Wednesday and Thursday, from 3:15 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. in the school library. This is for all students and subjects and levels.
- Tutor List - A list of tutors is compiled for you as a courtesy service of TCAPS. Certified teachers included on this list have indicated an interest in tutoring and have been reviewed by the TCAPS human resources staff. We recommend that you interview tutors to determine if they fit your needs and to make individual arrangements directly with the tutor.
Additional Counseling / Student Services
- For additional assistance, please visit the school counseling office or call 231.933.6540.
College & Scholarship Info
- School Year College Visits
- How to Go to College
- College Application Process
- Grand Traverse Regional Community Foundation Scholarships
- Scholarship Information & Deadlines
- Preparation Timeline for Freshman, Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors
- College Planning for Seniors
- College Planning for Juniors
- College Planning for Sophomores
- Do You Need Money For College?
- How to fill out the FAFSA
- Affording College in Michigan
- College Application Process 2018
- Big Future - Get Ready for College
- Summer College Programs
Programs to Get Ahead
For student assistance information, please contact our school social workers below:
- Diane Burden, MSW, 231.933.3523
- Hillary Strickland, TBA MSW, 231.933.8598
- Information about TCAPS' School Social Work Services
Students in Transition Empowerment Program (STEP)
Students in Transition Empowerment Program (STEP) is a program administered by Traverse City Area Public Schools that provides free supportive, education-related services to students, ages 3-20, who lack fixed, regular and adequate housing. STEP ensures the educational rights of families and youth as required by the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act. The STEP program works with eligible students who have lost permanent housing due to foreclosure, eviction, or reasons related to economic hardship to locate and coordinate available services based on each student’s individual needs. The goal of the program is to ensure school stability, remove barriers to full participation in their education, and support academic achievement while children are in residential transition. Visit the TCAPS STEP website for more information about the program and its services.
For more information about STEP at Central High School, please contact
- Andrea Ballast, 231.933.5915
Time Line for Freshmen
It's never too early to start preparing for what comes after high school:
- Visit ACT.org for college and career planning resources and to:
- Make the most out of high school
- Plan challenging high school courses
- Find out why you should go to college
- Become familiar with college entrance requirements.
- Take EXPLORE®—a set of four tests that measure academic achievement; EXPLORE results can be a benchmark before taking PLAN® and the ACT® test.
- Review EXPLORE results with your parents and school counselor.
- Start thinking about reasons for attending college.
- Join/continue extracurricular activities.
- Attend summer camp at a college to experience a college-like atmosphere.
- Continue/start saving for college.
- Research college costs.
- Meet with your college/career counselor at least once a year.
- Explore careers on the Internet by using DISCOVER®