Counseling Center & Student Services
Dual Enrollment/Early College
Dual Enrollment and Early College information can be found under the 'Programs to Get Ahead' tab below.
Test Out Information
Under Michigan legislation, high school students may request the opportunity to "test out" of any high school class they select. View additional Test Out information.
Academic Assistance Services
- CHS offers free after school tutoring/homework help Monday, Wednesday and Thursday, from 3:15 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. in the school library. This is for all students and subjects and levels.
- Tutor List - A list of tutors is compiled for you as a courtesy service of TCAPS. Certified teachers included on this list have indicated an interest in tutoring and have been reviewed by the TCAPS human resources staff. We recommend that you interview tutors to determine if they fit your needs and to make individual arrangements directly with the tutor.
Additional Counseling / Student Services
- For additional assistance, please visit the school counseling office or call 231.933.6540.
College & Scholarship Info
Programs to Get Ahead
For student assistance information, please contact our school social workers below:
- Diane Burden, MSW, 231.933.6542
- Hillary Strickland, TBA MSW, 231.933.6546
- Information about TCAPS' School Social Work Services
Students in Transition Empowerment Program (STEP)
Students in Transition Empowerment Program (STEP) is a program administered by Traverse City Area Public Schools that provides free supportive, education-related services to students, ages 3-20, who lack fixed, regular and adequate housing. STEP ensures the educational rights of families and youth as required by the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act. The STEP program works with eligible students who have lost permanent housing due to foreclosure, eviction, or reasons related to economic hardship to locate and coordinate available services based on each student’s individual needs. The goal of the program is to ensure school stability, remove barriers to full participation in their education, and support academic achievement while children are in residential transition. Visit the TCAPS STEP website for more information about the program and its services.
For more information about STEP at Central High School, please contact
- Andrea Ballast, 231.933.6552
Student Work Permits
Student Work Permits
Per Governor Gretchen Whitmer’s Executive Order 2020-140 that took effect on June 30, 2020, and expires on July 31, 2020, school districts are permitted to continue to complete work permits by remote/electronic means due to COVID-19. Therefore, TCAPS is processing work permits remotely through email through July 31, 2020. Following is the District’s temporary process:
- Student obtains a copy of the appropriate blank work permit form from his/her employer or by using the appropriate link below (based on student age). The requirements of printing on colored paper, front to back have been temporarily lifted by Executive Order 2020-140):
Link to Work Permit for students ages 16 or 17
Link to Work Permit for students under 16 years of age
- Student completes Section 1.
- Student takes the form to his/her employer.
- Employer completes Section 2.
- Student sends completed form to his/her school as an email attachment (i.e., scanned document or photograph). If student is unable to email form as an attachment please contact your school for assistance (see contact list below or call 231.933.6500):
School reviews the work permit, confirms information with the student's PowerSchool record, and completes Section 3 of the work permit.
School emails the student the completed and signed work permit.
Student prints the completed work permit and takes it to his/her employer.
While the email method is preferred, as an alternative to the email process, a student may still present his/her work permit and school ID card in person at his/her school’s main office during the summer months Monday through Thursday, between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m, or at the Tompkins Boardman Administration Center (412 Webster Street, Traverse City, MI 49686) in the Human Resources office on the first floor, Monday through Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. PLEASE NOTE, A FACE MASK IS REQUIRED TO ENTER ANY TCAPS SCHOOL BUILDING OR THE ADMINISTRATION CENTER, AND SOCIAL DISTANCING MUST BE PRACTICED WHILE IN THE BUILDING.
If you have questions about this process or need further assistance, please email your school contact as listed above or call Human Resources at 231.933.1710.