Programs & Services

The following programs and services are available to TCHS students. 

Child Care Center

On-Site Child Development Child Care Center

Traverse City High School offers an on-site child development child care center for student parents so that they are better able to complete their high school education. Student parents are able to stop in periodically throughout the day to visit their children and/or have lunch with them.

The typical age of children at the center range from 2 1/2 weeks to 3 years of age. The center follows the school calendar and is open every day school is in session.

Because transportation can be a major barrier for student parents, TCHS has partnered with several community organizations to provide on-site services to student parents and their children. On-site services include:

  • An Early Head Start Coordinator works on-site to provide weekly home visits. The weekly visit may also be conducted at school.
  • Early Head Start provides an infant/maternal support nurse who visits once a week to work with parents on parenting skills and bonding with their children.
  • Youth, Health & Wellness is on-site once a week to provide infants and parents care or to address health concerns.
  • The Women's Resource Center provides Doulas (volunteer mentors) on-site to support young parents and their children to promote enhanced physical health, helping children to meet developmental milestones, and building positive parent-child interactions.
  • A Women, Infant & Children (WIC) nurse visits on a monthly basis to share nutrition education and deliver food benefits for milk, cheese, eggs, fruits & vegetables, etc.
  • Third Level provides mental health and counseling support on-site once a week.
  • Pine Rest is available to provide counseling support for the family on-site on an as needed basis.
  • Student parents attend weekly empowerment meetings that focus on building healthy relationships and building self-confidence.
  • Traverse City High School has its own food pantry on-site designed to ensure students who may be experiencing a need, have the food and daily products they need everyday for themselves and their child.
  • Early On services are provided on-site on an as needed basis for children experiencing developmental delays.
  • TCAPS' External LinkStudents in Transition Empowerment Program (STEP) provides services to students who may be experiencing residential transition and is located on-site at Traverse City High School.
  • Additional services provided on-site include the school social worker and the External LinkIndian Education program.
  • For more information, contact Juli VanPelt at 231.933.5869.

Participant Handbook

Food Pantry

Students at TCHS are welcome to select non-perishable food, paper products, and personal care items from the school food pantry for use at home. The pantry is open during the lunch hour.

Traverse City High School's food pantry was created in 2008 by students from TCHS' mentor group to better assist any and all TC High School students who may find themselves food challenged and unable to take advantage of other local food pantries due to being in school and/or lack of transportation. The pantry is supported by generous donations from the community and through the efforts of dedicated students who fundraise and shop to stock the pantry.

Sample items found in the food pantry:

  • Bottled Water
  • Non-perishable meals (ready to heat & eat)
  • Pasta & pasta sauce, rice
  • Canned goods: soup, stew, chicken, etc.
  • Condiments & cooking oil
  • Snacks
  • Pancake mix & syrup
  • Baby food & diapers sizes 4, 5, & 6
  • Paper products: toilet paper, paper towel
  • Laundry soap
  • Shampoo & conditioner, body wash (for males & females)
  • Personal care items: toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, lip balm, etc.

Donations Needed

Donations are accepted and appreciated. Donations may be dropped off Monday - Friday, from 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM, at the high school main office, 3962 Three Mile Road North.

Please call 231.933.5884 for more information.

Help for Students in Transition (STEP)

STEP Graphic

The Students in Transition Empowerment Program (STEP) is a program administered by Traverse City Area Public Schools that provides free supportive, education-related services to students, ages 3-20, who lack fixed, regular and adequate housing. STEP ensures the educational rights of families and youth as required by the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act. The STEP program works with eligible students who have lost permanent housing due to foreclosure, eviction, or reasons related to economic hardship to locate and coordinate available services based on each student’s individual needs. The goal of the program is to ensure school stability, remove barriers to full participation in their education, and support academic achievement while children are in residential transition.

  • External LinkVisit the district STEP webpage to learn more about who STEP serves, what services are provided, contact information and more.
  • The district STEP office is located at Traverse City High School. Stop in anytime or contact STEP Coordinator Abby Jordan at 231.933.8991 to learn more about the STEP program and services available.

STEP Information Graphic

Indian (Anishinaabe) Education

TCAPS’ Indian (Anishinaabe) Education program meets the unique needs of Native American and Alaska Native students. The goal of the program is to improve student proficiency and graduation rates. The program provides assistance to students early on and throughout their learning journey at TCAPS.

The program is funded by a federal grant through the U.S. Department of Education as part of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act and is administered through the Office of Indian Education. The program is further supplemented through additional grant monies from the Grand Traverse Band of Ottawa and Chippewa Indians’ Community 2% Funds.

For More Information

Amber Ochoa, Coordinator
231.933.5885 (fax)

On-Site Nursing / Health Information

On-Site Nursing Hours

On-site nursing hours are available for TCHS students on:

  • Wednesdays
    9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. 

School Nurse 

Ann Hughes, YHWC 
Room 15

More Health Information

If you experience a health concern or question at other times during the week, we may refer you to the Youth Health & Wellness Center located on Parsons Road at the Career Tech Center (231.922.6416).

Translation Services

Translation of any documents, or during any meeting, will be provided for any parent who requests translating. The process to request translation is: 

Contact your school and make a request. The school will then make the request through the Human Resources Department, and a translator will be provided. A school may use the Tele-Interpreter Service if no translator is available, or if translation services are an immediate need.