Parent Teacher Organization (PTO)
Westwoods Elementary School PTO invites all parents to get involved in school activities and events and/or considering becoming a member of the PTO board. The PTO is made up of families and teachers committed to supporting our children and the Westwoods school community. We raise money to help fund school activities and to purchase needed materials for classrooms. The PTO also sponsors events held throughout the year. PTO meetings are held once a month and are open to the public. All Westwoods families are encouraged to attend. Please join us to learn more.
PTO Board Meetings
One of the best ways to get involved is to attend meetings. Your voice is important! We need your input, your ideas, your energy. Meetings are the 2nd MONDAY OF EVERY MONTH, from 6:30 PM - 7:30 PM. It’s a great way to meet teachers, parents and families. And if you miss the first meeting, please come to the next! We are a friendly bunch and welcome you with open arms at any time of the year.
For meeting dates and times, please contact the school office at 231.933.7900 or the PTO president, Kimberly Kramer.
PTO Board Members
- President: Kimberly Kramer
- Vice President: Mindy Ronayne
- Treasurer: Ian Kramer
- Secretary: Beth Selleck
Please feel free to contact the PTO board members at email@example.com with questions, suggestions or ideas to share. We would love to hear from you.
Come to the PTO Meetings
- PTO Meetings: One of the best ways to get involved is to attend meetings. Your voice is important! We need your input, your ideas, your energy. Meetings are the 2nd MONDAY OF EVERY MONTH, from 6:30 PM - 7:30 PM. It’s a great way to meet teachers, parents and families. And if you miss the first meeting, please come to the next! We are a friendly bunch and welcome you with open arms at any time of the year.
- Can't make it to the PTO meetings? We still need you! Whether an hour a month or for a specific event, whatever time you can give will make a difference. Volunteering opportunities are available throughout the year, including ways to help at home or during non-school hours. If you'd like to get involved, sign-up at a meeting or contact us through email or the Westwoods PTO Facebook page.
The Many Ways to Volunteer
- Classroom Representative: Be the liaison between your child’s room and the PTO. Attend monthly meetings, then email room families who couldn’t attend. A great way to meet other parents and teachers and to help build the classroom community. Responsibilities can be shared with other parents.
- Annual Move-a-Thon: This is our biggest fundraiser of the year. Volunteer to help organize the event, work the day of the event or just help your student obtain pledges; any way that you can help will make a difference. How may laps can students do in 20 minutes? Students gather pledges per lap or for going the distance! Raise pledges online at http://www.thegetmovincrew.com 9to register your student, just click on the star and follow the instructions) or by using pledge forms provided each year.
- Carnival and Silent Auction: A huge school community event! Games, food, facepainting, bounce houses and a silent auction. We need volunteers to chair events, count presale tickets (can be done at home in the evenings), collect and display auction basket donations, help run games and activities.
- Staff Conference Dinners: During parent-teacher conferences, the PTO organizes dinners for the staff who work late to meet with parents. Volunteers are always needed to set/clean up and to donate yummy food.
- Teacher Appreciation Week: -A week of little thank yous and a special lunch for our teachers and staff.
- Westwoods 5k and Fun Run: The Westwoods 5K/1 Mile Fun Run is open to the community. Volunteers are needed to help organize, advertise, register runners, donate raffle items, pass out food, take times, and cheer everyone on!
Fundraisers & Where the Money Goes
The PTO raises money through fundraisers as well as school and community events, including the Move-a-Thon and Spring Carnival.
Some of the past purchases has included:
- Providing teachers with funds for classroom supplies and field trips.
- Scholastic news and Brain Pop subscriptions, accessible both in classrooms and from home, have been a huge hit with students, staff and parents.
- Chess Club is going strong with over 90 students participating.
- 5th Grade class annual L.O.C. (Leelanau Outdoor Center) trips.
These are just a few of the many ways PTO funds have been used to benefit the students and families at Westwoods.