Parent Teacher Organization (PTO)
Westwoods Elementary School PTO invites all parents to get involved in school activities and events and/or considering becoming a member of the PTO board. The PTO is made up of families and teachers committed to supporting our children and the Westwoods school community. We raise money to help fund school activities and to purchase needed materials for classrooms. The PTO also sponsors events held throughout the year. PTO meetings are held once a month and are open to the public. All Westwoods families are encouraged to attend. Please join us to learn more.
PTO Board Meetings
One of the best ways to get involved is to attend meetings. Your voice is important! We need your input, your ideas, your energy.Meetings are the 2nd MONDAY OF EVERY MONTH, from 6:30 PM - 7:30 PM, in the Westwoods library. Free childcare is always provided. It’s a great way to meet teachers, parents and families. And if you miss the first meeting, please come to the next! We are a friendly bunch and welcome you with open arms at any time of the year.
For meeting dates and times, please contact the school office at 231.933.7900 or the PTO president, Nicola Philpott.
PTO Board Members
Come to the PTO Meetings
- PTO Meetings: One of the best ways to get involved is to attend meetings. Your voice is important! We need your input, your ideas, your energy. Meetings are the 2nd MONDAY OF EVERY MONTH, from 6:30 PM - 7:30 PM, in the Westwoods library. Free childcare is always provided. It’s a great way to meet teachers, parents and families. And if you miss the first meeting, please come to the next! We are a friendly bunch and welcome you with open arms at any time of the year.
- Can't make it to the PTO meetings? We still need you! Whether an hour a month or for a specific event, whatever time you can give will make a difference. Volunteering opportunities are available throughout the year, including ways to help at home or during non-school hours. If you'd like to get involved, sign-up at a meeting or contact us through email (see PTO Board Member section for emails) or the Westwoods PTO Facebook page.
The Many Ways to Volunteer
- Classroom Representative: Be the liaison between your child’s room and the PTO. Attend monthly meetings, then email room families who couldn’t attend. A great way to meet other parents and teachers and to help build the classroom community. Responsibilities can be shared with other parents.
- Popcorn Fridays: Help make popcorn in the school kitchen to raise money for classroom supplies and meet other awesome volunteers at the same time. Popcorn Fridays is an ongoing event that takes place throughout the school year. Sign up to help via the Online Popcorn Fridays Volunteer Sign Up Form! (2 hours on Friday afternoons, sign up for just one or for as many as you can)
- Annual Move-a-Thon: This is our biggest fundraiser of the year. Volunteer to help organize the event, work the day of the event or just help your student obtain pledges; any way that you can help will make a difference. How may laps can students do in 20 minutes? Students gather pledges per lap or for going the distance! Raise pledges online at http://www.thegetmovincrew.com 9to register your student, just click on the star and follow the instructions) or by using pledge forms provided each year.
- Carnival and Silent Auction: A huge school community event! Games, food, facepainting, bounce houses and a silent auction. We need volunteers to chair events, count presale tickets (can be done at home in the evenings), collect and display auction basket donations, help run games and activities.
- Fall Staff Conference Dinners: During parent-teacher conferences, the PTO organizes dinners for the staff who work late to meet with parents. Volunteers are always needed to set/clean up and to donate yummy food.
- Box Tops for Education: The collecting of Box Tops is an ongoing fundraiser for Westwoods. Just turn in your boxtops to your teacher. The winning classroom gets a special prize! View the Box Tops for Education Product List.
- Oleson's Food Stores Receipts/Labels for Education: Collect your receipts from Oleson's Food Stores to help raise money for the school; they add up! Donations accepted throughout the school year (white boxes hanging in the lobby near the library). Volunteers are needed to help sort and count receipts to meet program deadlines a few times during the year. View Labels for Education Product List for Labels for Education. (Volunteering can be done at home)
- Teacher Appreciation Week: -A week of little thank yous and a special lunch for our teachers and staff.
- Westwoods 5k and Fun Run: The Westwoods 5K/1 Mile Fun Run is open to the community. Volunteers are needed to help organize, advertise, register runners, donate raffle items, pass out food, take times, and cheer everyone on!
- Movie Nights: Family movies shown on Friday nights in the Westwoods gym, supported by the PTO but co-hosted by a school group. Ideas for co-sponsors? Let us know!
Fundraisers & Where the Money Goes
The PTO raises money through fundraisers as well as school and community events, including the Chrysler Drive for Kids, Move-a-Thon, Winter Carnival, Box Tops for Education, Popcorn Fridays, La Senorita Gives Back and Hofbrau Pizza Week.
Some of the past purchases has included:
- iPads for the K-1 classrooms
- New math manipulatives and literacy materials for 4th/5th grade classrooms
- Providing teachers with additional monies for classroom supplies via proceeds from Popcorn Fridays.
- Dreambox and Razz Kids Reading online subscriptions, accessible both in classrooms and from home, have been a huge hit with students, staff and parents.
- Chess Club is going strong with over 90 students participating.
- The purchase of 60+ jerseys for various Westwoods athletic teams.
These are just a few of the many ways PTO funds have been used to benefit the students and families at Westwoods.