The purpose of Traverse City Area Public Schools’ enhanced science, math and technology program called SCI-MA-TECH is to enrich the quality of education by inspiring and challenging students through an individualized and integrated curriculum.
SCI-MA-TECH has a rigorous curriculum that engages students through participation in exciting and innovative explorations designed to fully prepare them for success in post-secondary education and beyond.
2021-2022 Application Period: January 24th-Mar.18, 2022
See Admissions section below for 2022-2023 detailed application information. Applications will be accepted January 24th - March 18th, 2022. Virtual Information Session: Feb. 9th, at 6 PM.
About the Program
SCI-MA-TECH (SMT) offers students enhanced opportunities in science, mathematics, engineering and technology. SCI-MA-TECH inspires and challenges students through an individualized and integrated curriculum. SCI-MA-TECH has a rigorous curriculum that engages students through participation in exciting and innovative explorations designed to fully prepare them for success in post-secondary education and beyond.
Students join SCI-MA-TECH as freshmen and participate in the program for four years earning credit in AP classes, SMT Math, SMT Science, and SMT Technology and Engineering. SCI-MA-TECH students also visit colleges and businesses, hear from speakers, conduct authentic research, complete an internship, and participate in extracurricular activities, such as the FIRST Robotics Competition and underwater ROV building competition.
View the SCI-MA-TECH brochure to learn more about the program.
Admission to SCI-MA-TECH is not based solely on academic achievement. Interest and commitment are major factors in the selection process. SCI-MA-TECH is open to all Grand Traverse area students. Students complete an application during February of their 8th grade year. An interview with members of the SCI-MA-TECH staff is part of the selection process.
2021-2022 Registration Information
January 6 - March 18, 2022
Applications for the 2021-2022 school year are being accepted from January 6 through March 18, 2022. In order to be eligible for consideration in SCI-MA-TECH, all parts of the application must be completed and received by March 18th. Please complete the application for the specific school program you wish to attend:
Virtual Informational Meeting
February 9, 2022 - 6 PM
- Open to any current 8th grade student/parent in the Grand Traverse area
- Virtual presentation and Q&A session
- Link to Google Meet
- Science: SMT Honors Biology
- Math*: Accelerated SMT Geometry
- 2022-23 cohort and beyond - Honors Algebra II
- Technology: (1) Measurement & Instrumentation, (2) Engineering Problem Solving
- Science: SMT Honors Chemistry
- Math*: Accelerated SMT Algebra II
- 2022-23 cohort and beyond - Accelerated SMT Trigonometry / PreCalculus
- Technology: (1) Advanced CADD, (2) Advanced Scientific Research
- Science: SMT Honors Physics
- Math*: Accelerated SMT Trigonometry / PreCalculus
- 2022-23 Cohort and beyond - AP Calculus AB or BC, AP Statistics
- Technology: (1)AP Computer Science or Programming / Robotics
- Summer Internship
- Science: AP Chemistry or AP Biology or NMC Physics
- Math*: AP Calculus AB or BC, AP Statistics
- 2022-23 Cohort and beyond - NMC Calculus or AP Statistics
- Technology: Electives available, AP Computer Science Principals, etc.
- 4.0 SMT Science Credits
- 4.0 SMT Math Credits
- 3.0 SMT Technology Credits
*Math course is based on credit received in middle school math or Test Out.
Technology Credit Options
Technology Elective Options (in class)
- Measurement and Instrumentation
- Advanced CADD
- Advanced Scientific Research
- Architectural Drawing
- AP Computer Science
Technology Elective Options (out of class)
- FIRST Robotics, VEX, Underwater ROV as extracurricular
- Second Year of Science Symposium
- Second Internship
- Community Outreach with Elementary Schools
SMT Extracurricular Events
- First Robotics
- Underwater ROV
- Tech Girls
- Math Competitions
- Quiz Bowl
- College Visits
- Field Trips
- Guest Speakers
- SMT Advisories
- Social Gatherings
Reasons to Join
- Follow in the footsteps of SCI-MA-TECH alumni and attend colleges such as United States Naval Academy, West Point, University of Michigan, MSU, Grand Valley State University, Rose-Hulman Institute and Michigan Tech.
- Take unique classes taught by outstanding teachers
- Learn by doing not by watching
- Pursue your passions with support and encouragement of SCI-MA-TECH staff
- Conduct authentic research using state of the art equipment
- Present your research at the Northern Michigan Mathematics, Engineering and Science Symposium and other state and national science fairs
- Join a school within a school and form great friendships with students with similar interests and goals
- Internship in a career area of student’s choice
- Participate in extracurricular activities such as SCI-MA-TECH’s FIRST Robotics Teams
- Compete in national competitions such as the American Math Contest, the USA Biology Olympiad, and the U.S. National Chemistry Olympiad