LEAP Challenge Island
LEAP Challenge Island
For Grades K-5
LEAP is pleased to offer an exciting afterschool program at several TCAPS elementary schools. This program is called Challenge Island and will be run by Renee Allen, Owner and Director at Challenge Island Northwest Michigan.
About the Program
Challenge Island is a cross-educational STEAM-based (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math) enrichment program for kids! Children are taken on a unique "island" adventure where they work in collaborative tribes to take on high-level thinking challenges using only the materials in their treasure chest and their creativity.
Kids experience All five aspects of STEAM in every session – Language Arts, Engineering Design Process, Technology Invention, Science and Math to successfully complete the challenge. No digital technology is involved, but instead technology of innovation and invention. They have a ton of fun while also increasing their soft skills in communication, collaboration, critical and creative thinking, flexibility, sociability, initiative, leadership, and perseverance through difficulty. At Challenge Island, staff are dedicated to ensuring a brighter future for our kids and our communities by helping you prepare your child to succeed in the 21st century and beyond!
Program offerings are divided into three age groups – Grades K-1, 2-3, and 4-5.
Winter Program – World Tour Island
January through March 2019
Pack your suitcases for Challenge Island's World Tour! You and a tribe of friends will engineer your way around the globe - from the Eiffel Tower to the Sydney Harbor Bridge to the Taj Mahal to an African Safari. Each Challenge will bring you a different international destination and provide a CI taste of the local flavor there! This not-to-be missed island is sure to sell out fast so save your spot in the Rainforest today. Register for an Island by school location and grade.
Winter 2019 Locations/Dates/Times
Long Lake Elementary School
Mondays: Jan. 28, Feb. 4, 11, 25, Mar. 4, 11, 18, Apr. 1
Time: 4:00 PM - 5:20 PM
- Long Lake After-School World Tour Grades K-1
- Long Lake After-School World Tour Grades 2-3
- Long Lake After-School World Tour Grades 4-5
Eastern Elementary School
Tuesdays: Jan. 29, Feb. 12, 19, 26, Mar. 5, 12, 19, Apr. 2
4:00 PM - 5:20 PM
- Eastern After-School World Tour Grades K-1
- Eastern After-School World Tour Grades 2-3
- Eastern After-School World Tour Grades 4-5
Willow Hill Elementary School
Wednesdays: Jan. 30, Feb. 6, 20, 27, Mar. 6, 13, 20, Apr. 3
3:40 PM - 5:00 PM
- Willow Hill After-School World Tour Grades K-1
- Willow Hill After-School World Tour Grades 2-3
- Willow Hill After-School World Tour Grades 4-5
Cherry Knoll Elementary School
Thursdays: Jan. 31 – Mar. 21
3:40 PM - 5:00 PM
- Cherry Knoll After-School World Tour Grades K-1
- Cherry Knoll After-School World Tour Grades 2-3
- Cherry Knoll After-School World Tour Grades 4-5
- $154 per 8-week island; which includes 8 1¼-hour sessions, all five aspects of STEAM every session, all materials, and take-aways.
- Registrations will be accepted up though the Sunday (11:59 PM) immediately prior to the start of the 8-week Island.
- Reduced fees are not available for this program.
In the event school is closed, no LEAP activities will be held per TCAPS policy. There is no guarantee of a make-up date in the case of inclement weather. Missed sessions will be made up if schedules allow (including Challenge Island schedules/school room schedules/TCAPS LEAP schedules). However, Challenge Island will make all efforts to make up lessons where possible.
Registration is through the Challenge Island Northwest Michigan’s secured website. All information is secured and only for Challenge Island use in the safety and security of the participants.
Parents log in to secured site and hold on to ID and password for registration in future programs as well (Afterschool, Summer Day Camps, Challenge Island Junior (preschool), Kids Night Out!, and Family Adventure Challenges!).
Register for Challenge Island here. Then, in the top right corner, click on ‘Register Now’ to be connected to the event list to choose from.