Kate Bonne and international student making dumplings

F-1 Student Visa Program


Your American High School Experience

The Academic Year in America allows students from all over the world to study at one of TCAPS nationally recognized high schools on an F1 visa for an academic year. This tuition-based program also gives qualifying students the opportunity to receive a TCAPS diploma.  International students participate in clubs, sports teams, and stay with a host family for a total immersive experience.

Welcome to Traverse City Area Public Schools (TCAPS)! This information is for international students who are seeking a one-year public high school experience.

TCAPS will accept students in grades 9, 10, 11, and 12 based on their completed transcripts. Students are not allowed to repeat a completed year of school. Only students in grades 11 and 12 are able to accumulate the necessary credit requirements to receive a high school diploma.

Students have the opportunity to attend either of the district's two high schools which have been authorized by the U.S. government to issue I-20 forms. Both high schools are recognized among the nation's "Most Challenging High Schools" and are ranked in the top 20 in Michigan by The Washington Post.

Visit each school's website to learn more about the many programs offered at each school: