Partner In Education
Intense Student Support Network - Learn How You Can Help
What is the Intense Student Support Network (ISSN)?
- The ISSN provides tools for staff to effectively nurture and support students whose non-academic needs may create obstacles to high achievement.
Why is ISSN necessary?
- Nearly 40% of area families qualify for free and reduced meals.
- Students whose basic needs have not been met may not be ready to learn when they enter the classroom.
How does the ISSN help?
- Offers immediate resolution to a barrier to learning
- Improves student achievement
- Relieves stress on staff
How does the ISSN work?
- A school social worker, teacher or administrator identifies a student's need and completes a form to describe the need and urgency level.
- The district Partner In Education Coordinator monitors and works to fulfill requests via a human service agency, community business, independent donor or directly from funds raised specifically to support the ISSN.
What would my donation support?
- In the 2019-2020 school year, $21,073 was donated to the ISSN to support students in need.
- Needs fulfilled included: school supplies, winter wear, shoes, clothing, bunk beds, band fees, food service assistance, grocery store gift cards, BATA passes, school photos, water bottles, snacks, toiletries, noise-canceling headphones, and more.
How do I make a monetary donation?
- Visit www.tcaps.net/donate or click on the red donate button on the home page of any TCAPS school's website.
- Complete the form. In the program description section, designate "ISSN" or any other program of your choosing.
- To make an online donation by credit card, you will be taken to PayPal once you hit submit on your donation form. Follow the PayPal instructions.
- To donate by check, make payable to TCAPS, write "ISSN donation" in the memo line on your check, and mail to: TCAPS, Attn: Karyn Hertel, 412 Webster St., Traverse City 49686.
Ongoing Needs - District Wide
- Books - Before making any book donations please contact Stephie Luyt at email@example.com to be sure that we do not already have it in our libraries.
- Disinfectant wipes
- Dry erase markers
- Water bottles
- Colored pencils
- Pencils - MANY requests at secondary schools
- Notebooks - single subject
Snacks - District Wide (Please be sure to avoid anything with peanuts.)
- goldfish crackers
- fruit cups (not in syrup)
- graham crackers
- whole grain crackers
- dried fruits
- sunflower seeds
- sugar free pudding
- 100 calorie snack bags
- water bottles
- low sugar/sugar free juice boxes/pouches
Blair Elementary School
- Water bottles
- Paper cups
- Junior-sized masks (fabric and disposable)
- Girls leggings (S,M,L)
- Boys athletic pants
- Yoga mats
- Large kids waterproof snow gloves
- Addition and subtraction flash cards
- Multiplication flash cards
- Thick pencils for beginners (kindergarten and first grade)
Central Grade School
- Underwear (XS, S and M sizes - nothing bigger than size 8)
Donate Directly to the Intense Student Support Network
- One other way individuals can make a donation this holiday season is by giving directly to the ISSN via the district's donate webpage at www.tcaps.net/donate. All of those funds are used strictly for student support and are available for schools and school social workers to use as a resource when helping to remove non-academic barriers to student learning.
Thank you so much for thinking of others, especially at this time. We truly appreciate it! Questions? Contact Karyn Hertel at 231.933.1790 or firstname.lastname@example.org.