The purpose of Traverse City Area Public Schools’ enhanced science, math and technology program called SCI-MA-TECH is to enrich the quality of education by inspiring and challenging students through an individualized and integrated curriculum.
SCI-MA-TECH has a rigorous curriculum that engages students through participation in exciting and innovative explorations designed to fully prepare them for success in post-secondary education and beyond.
About the Program
SCI-MA-TECH (SMT) offers students enhanced opportunities in science, mathematics, engineering and technology. SCI-MA-TECH inspires and challenges students through an individualized and integrated curriculum. SCI-MA-TECH has a rigorous curriculum that engages students through participation in exciting and innovative explorations designed to fully prepare them for success in post-secondary education and beyond.
SCI-MA-TECH is currently based at TC Central High School. The program will also be offered at TC West Senior High School starting with the 2018-2019 school year (pending enrollment).
Students join SCI-MA-TECH as freshmen and participate in the program for four years earning one full credit each year in math, science and technology. SCI-MA-TECH students also visit colleges and businesses, hear from speakers, conduct authentic research, complete an internship, and participate in extracurricular activities such as the FIRST Robotics Competition and underwater ROV building competition.
View the SCI-MA-TECH brochure to learn more about the program.
Admission to SCI-MA-TECH is not based solely on academic achievement. Interest and commitment are major factors in the selection process. SCI-MA-TECH is open to all Grand Traverse area students. Students complete an application during February of their 8th grade year. An interview with members of the SCI-MA-TECH staff is part of the selection process. Access to online applications for the 2018 cohort is now available.
- Science: SMT Honors Biology
- Math*: Accelerated SMT Geometry
- Technology: (1) Measurement & Instrumentation, (2) Engineering Problem Solving
- Science: SMT Honors Chemistry
- Math*: Accelerated SMT Algebra II
- Technology: (1) Advanced CADD, (2) Advanced Scientific Research
- Science: SMT Honors Physics
- Math*: Accelerated SMT Trigonometry / PreCalculus
- Technology: (1) Programming / Simulations / Robotics, (2) Summer Internship
- Science: AP Chemistry or AP Biology or NMC Physics
- Math*: AP Calculus AB or BC, AP Statistics
- Technology: Electives available, AP Computer Science Principals, NMC Technology Classes
- 4.0 SMT Science Credits
- 4.0 SMT Math Credits
- 3.0 SMT Technology Credits
*Math course is based on credit received in middle school math or Test Out.
Technology Credit Options
Technology Elective Options (in class)
- Measurement and Instrumentation
- Advanced CADD
- Advanced Scientific Research
- Introduction to Robotics
- Architectural Drawing
- AP Computer Science
Technology Elective Options (out of class)
- FIRST Robotics, VEX, Underwater ROV as extracurricular
- Second Year of Science Symposium
- Second Internship
- Community Outreach with Elementary Schools
SMT Extracurricular Events
- First Robotics
- Underwater ROV
- VEX Robotics
- Math Competitions
- Quiz Bowl
- College Visits
- Field Trips
- Guest Speakers
- SMT Advisories
- Social Gatherings
Reasons to Join
- Take unique classes taught by outstanding teachers
- Learn by doing not by watching
- Pursue your passions with support and encouragement of SCI-MA-TECH staff
- Conduct authentic research using state of the art equipment
- Present your research at the Northern Michigan Mathematics, Engineering and Science Symposium and other state and national science fairs
- Join a school within a school and form great friendships with students with similar interests and goals
- Internship in a career area of student’s choice
- Participate in extracurricular activities such as SCI-MA-TECH’s FIRST Robotics Teams
- Compete in national competitions such as the American Math Contest, the USA Biology Olympiad, and the U.S. National Chemistry Olympiad
- Follow in the footsteps of SCI-MA-TECH alumni and attend colleges such as United States Naval Academy, West Point, University of Michigan, MSU, Grand Valley State University, Rose-Hulman Institute and Michigan Tech.