TCAPS Online Programs
Traverse City Area Public Schools supports online learning and is committed to advancing any time, any place and any way teaching and learning. TCAPS has a long history of providing our students with an exceptional education and one in which students graduate prepared for college, career and life. We pride ourselves on adapting our educational strategies to meet the needs of our students and we embrace technology, which aids us in teaching our students and supporting their learning.
For Homeschool Students
TCAPS Online Academy
TCAPS Online Academy is a tuition-free, full-time online public school option. Designed for homeschool students and students seeking an education outside of the traditional classroom, TCAPS’ Online Academy uses a personal approach to empower students to learn in a way that is suited to their strengths and needs. Call 231.933.7591 to enroll today.
What does TCAPS Online Academy offer?
- A high-quality, free public school education
- Support from passionate, experienced, professional teachers
- Flexible pacing with an individualized approach to learning
- Expansive class offerings, including Julliard courses
- Option to participate in visual and performing arts programs, athletics, and extracurricular activities
- Access to courses anywhere, anytime
- An active, supportive school community
Quality Curriculum is Key to Success
The TCAPS Online Academy curriculum has been specifically designed for use in online instruction and has been time-tested for over a decade. Our currriculum lays the groundwork for future academic success by:
- Building a solid foundation in reading, writing and mathematics
- Developing lifelong learning and analytical skills
- Encouraging exploration, critical thinking and problem solving
Dedicated Teachers Make It Happen
TCAPS Online Academy courses are taught by certified teachers who actively guide each student’s education. Trained extensively in online education techniques, teachers skillfully blend traditional instruction and resources with innovative computer-based learning tools. From creating individual learning plans, to conducting interactive classes online, to discussing grades and assignments, TCAPS Online Academy teachers are fully committed to each child’s educational success.
Involved Parents and Guardians Ensure Success
Involved parents and guardians play a vital role in ensuring student success in the TCAPS Online Academy. Parents and guardians work closely with students and their teachers to help develop and deliver an individualized approach to instruction and learning. The parent or guardian supervises the student’s daily activities, encourages progress, and communicates regularly with the class teacher to ensure the student stays on track.
Technology Makes It Possible
TCAPS uses Connexus®, a proprietary technology built specifically for online instruction in grades K–12, which allows us to bring the classroom to any student via an Internet connection. Under the direction of our teachers, students access and complete coursework online, as well as submit some assignments by mail. Students, teachers, and family members communicate through our own secure email system, on dedicated message boards, or by telephone. Our online grade book allows students and parents/guardians to track their progress at any time of day or night. Families can also monitor all students within the household easily from the system home page.
Partners and Accreditation
TCAPS has partnered with Connections Education, a division of the global education leader, Pearson, which has delivered successful virtual school instruction to hundreds of thousands of students in the last decade. Connections Education is accredited by AdvancED.
Call 231.933.7591 to enroll today.
For Current TCAPS Students
- A current TCAPS student looking to enrich your academic experience with a flexible schedule?
- Seeking more independent, college-style learning opportunities?
- A student looking for course recovery options?
State School Aid Act- Section 21f Expanded Online Learning Opportunities
The State of Michigan under Section 21f of the State School Aid Act has expanded educational options for students so that parents can request to have their student(s), in grades 5-12, be enrolled in no more than two (2) online courses in place of a traditional course.
It is imperative that parents assess whether or not an online course is ideal for their child given the non-traditional setting and lack of face-to-face classroom instruction and support. In exploring the research and looking at experiences of other online learners, it should be pointed out that not all students are well-suited for this style of learning. Parents should carefully consider the unique qualities of their child when considering if an online class is right for them. These factors include:
- Can your student create and maintain a study schedule without face-to-face interaction of a teacher?
- Can your student self-advocate in order to seek help within a virtual setting?
- Does your student possess the independent study habits needed to complete an entire course online without direct supervision?
- Does your student have the reading, writing, math, and computer literacy skills to succeed in a class that is completely online?
- Additional information is contained with the parent Guide to Online Learning at:http://media.mivu.org/institute/pdf/parentguide.pdf.
It is important to note that this option is limited to those courses made available within the state online course catalog at https://micourses.org. While all of these classes have been reviewed by the state, not all of them contain the rigor of the curriculum at Traverse City Area Public Schools. As such, all courses are subject to administrative approval and note that courses have limited class sizes, so students are not guaranteed enrollment in an online class.
Should you choose to enroll your child in online courses, please be advised of the conditions listed below:
The highly qualified teacher providing the content for the course will only be available remotely via email or possibly phone and will not be a TCAPS employee.
- The student will be required to work independently outside of the traditional classroom setting.
- District personnel will not be providing instructional support for the online class.
- The student will be required to check in regularly with their school assigned mentor.
- Once enrolled in an online class, students may not withdraw from the online course to enroll in a different online class or a course in their home school.
- The student must complete the online course on or before the last day of the semester in which they are enrolled.
Please contact your student’s principal or guidance counselor if you have any questions.
Online Course Offerings
TCAPS students can take up to two online courses.
Call 231.933.7591 for more information today.