LEAP Robotics Competition Preparation
2016-2017 Robotics Competition Preparation
with Optional Equipment Lease Program
For Grades 2-8
This year we are moving to a new platform for delivery of VEX robotics to elementary and middle school students. Instead of leagues and competitions, this opportunity offers three community build nights where teams will gather to build, practice and scrimmage. Teams will have access to a TCAPS robotics mentor who will be available for questions and will also give information regarding upcoming IQ state qualifying events. All other team practice sessions will be up to the team mentor to coordinate. TCAPS offers leasing of kits and build sessions to help foster team growth and development.
Teams will have the opportunity to lease a VEX IQ Super Kit from TCAPS. The cost will be $100 for the season (September-May). At the end of the season, teams will be reimbursed $50 if all equipment is returned. If equipment is not returned you will be responsible to pay TCAPS $279 to replace the VEX IQ Super Kit.
If the team already owns equipment, the participation fee is $50 to have your team participate in these build sessions.
Your participation fee will include the following:
- Three Competition Preparation Build Sessions at the middle school where teams of up to four students will gather to build, practice and scrimmage - please note that a team mentor must be present at these build sessions.
- Access to a LEAD VEX IQ robotics mentor to answer questions at the competition preparation build sessions.
- Help with team and competition registration through the Robotics Education & Competition Foundation. (LEAP fees do not cover these optional opportunities)
Competition Build Day Schedule
- October 11, October 18, & October 25
- 5:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Recommended Team Schedule
- Week of 9-12-2016 - Sign team up on robotevents.com, register for tournaments - MENTOR/COACH NEEDS TO DO THIS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!
- Weeks of 9-12-2016 to 10-8-2016 - Team practices once weekly
- Weeks of 10-9-2016 to 10-29-2016 - Team practices at competition build days and has scrimmage matches with other teams
- 11-5-2016 - Elk Rapids Tournament
- Weeks of 11-6-2016 to 1-28-2017 - Team practices once weekly
- 1-28-2017 TCAPS tournament
Season Cost Breakdown
- $100 to lease kit
- $100 to register team on robotevents.com
- $50 for Elk Rapids tournament
- $50 for TCAPS tournament
- -$50 for team returning kit at end of season
- $250 Total Team Cost
- $50-$125 per student (depending on how many students on team)
- East Middle School, 1776 Three Mile Rd., N.
- West Middle School, 3950 West Silver Lake Rd.
- $100 with equipment lease
- $50 (no leased equipment)