Odyssey of the Mind (Gr. K-12)
2016–2017 Odyssey of the Mind
For Grades K-12
A creative-problem solving competition in which:
Students develop team-building skills by working in groups.
Students learn to examine problems and to identify the real challenge without limiting the possible solutions and their potential success.
The creative-thinking process is nurtured and developed as a problem-solving tool.
Students of all types will find something that will appeal to them (art, technical skills, drama, engineering, etc)
Odyssey of the Mind teams will be formed in early November at each TCAPS school that has enough participants and a volunteer coach to form a team.
- Those schools that have enough registered participants and coaches will be divided by grade level into the appropriate Odyssey of the Mind division breaks:
- Primary: K-2
- Division 1: 3-5
- Division 2: 6-8
- Division 3: 9-12
- Teams will be made up of 5-7 students.
- Teams will prepare and compete in one of the six 2017 Odyssey of the Mind “problems” as well as prepare for the spontaneous portion of the competition. All necessary Odyssey of the Mind rules and guidelines will be provided to the team at the first practice session.
- Additional costs and/or fundraising participation may be required for teams qualifying for competitions at the State or World Finals levels.
Coaches are needed at each school. Please contact Tina Allen, TCAPS Odyssey of the Mind Coordinator with any questions. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Phone: 231.946.5131 or 231.499.1213
- October 28, 2016 (After this date, a $25 late fee will be added to the registration fee.)
- Practices begin in November - Days and Times TBD by each team/coach
- February 25 – Michigan Region 3 Tournament East Middle School
- March 18– Michigan State Tournament at Thornapple Kellogg HS, Middleville, MI
- May 24-27 – Odyssey of the Mind World Finals Tournament at Michigan State University
NOTE: Registration is not complete until you receive an email from Byte confirming the registration. If you do not receive this email within five minutes of registering, submit the information again or call the LEAP office (231.933.1758) for assistance. If you did not receive an email from Byte, the payment did not process and the student is not registered.