TCAPS Kindergarten Program
CHANGE IN KINDERGARTEN STARTING AGE - MUST BE 5 BY NOVEMBER 1ST, 2013 FOR 2013-2014 SCHOOL YEAR
A recently enacted Michigan law amended the Revised School Code (MCL 380.1147), which changed the minimum age requirement for a child enrolling in kindergarten. Currently, a student must be five years old by December 1st to be eligible for enrollment to kindergarten. New legislation will change the “cut‐off” date and will be gradually phased‐in over three years; changing the requirement by one month each year. The changes will be implemented in the following manner:
- For the 2013‐2014 school year, children must be five years old by November 1st.
- For the 2014‐2015 school year, children must be five years old by October 1st.
- For the 2015‐2016 school year (and beyond), children must be five years old by September 1st.
Parent Enrollment Request Option
If the child is not eligible for enrollment per the guidelines specified above and will be five years old by December 1st, the child’s parent or legal guardian can complete an Enrollment Request Form to enroll their student in school. Enrollment Request Form deadlines and other information are as follows:
- If the child resides in the school district, the Enrollment Request must be submitted to the school district no later than June 1st before the beginning of the school year.
- If the child becomes a resident of the school district after June 1st, the Enrollment Request must be submitted to the school district no later than August 1st before the beginning of the school year.
- When in receipt of an Enrollment Request, districts can make recommendations to the child’s parent or legal guardian, as to the child’s readiness for school, and whether or not the child should be enrolled early.
- Regardless of a district’s recommendation, the parent or legal guardian retains the sole discretion to enroll their child.
Questions regarding enrollment should be directed to Mary Beth Stein at email@example.com or 231.933.1718.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD AN ENROLLMENT REQUEST FORM.