TCAPS Elementary School Social Work
The Traverse City Area Public Schools Elementary School Social Work Department welcomes you.
Elementary School Social Workers offer help for students experiencing difficulties which interfere with social, emotional and/or academic development and may impact their ability to make the most of their school experience.
Students with parent permission or parents may directly refer their child for services. Principals, teachers, and other school personnel may also refer to this program. Recommendations may include short term counseling, participation in support groups offered during the school day, or a referral to a community resource.
- To identify students early experiencing difficulties which may interfere with learning and development.
- To provide students and family access to professional assistance in exploring the nature and severity of identified behavior concerns.
- To provide students, family and school personnel with support to address and to promote intervention strategies.
- To enhance the work relationship between family, school, and community resources.
- To provide an environment and resources which support students in choosing and maintaining positive, healthy life-styles.
Education, special projects and classroom support designed to foster and maintain healthy lifestyles among students. Identification of children experiencing difficulty as outlined by a school board approved policy. Professional school personnel to work with the students and family regarding identified concerns and offer additional support.
Individual or Group Services for Children with the Following Concerns may Include:
- Changing families
- Grief issues
- Friendship concerns
- New student or moving
- Emotional or behavior
- Anger management
- Addictive parents concerns
- School phobia
- Low self-esteem
Services for Parents may include:
- Mediation with school
- Support during a family crisis
- ADD/ADHD assessments
- Community networking
- Development of behavior plans
School Social Work services benefit all our students and enhances the quality of learning. If you have any questions or concerns regarding you child, please feel free to contact your TCAPS Elementary School Social Worker. If you do not know who the SSW is in your child’s school, please telephone the principal’s office to obtain additional information regarding his/her schedule and telephone number. Your concerns will be held in confidence.